Posted to alt.home.repair
mick

Default repair of an electronnic air cleaner

I have an older Amana EAC 1 electronic air cleaner boy does it work
good or at least used to I need to replace a high output 50 meg
capactior on the device adn can not find where to go . Amana nowmatag
does not know anything about it cna anyone help???

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"mick" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an older Amana EAC 1 electronic air cleaner boy does it work
good or at least used to I need to replace a high output 50 meg
capactior on the device adn can not find where to go . Amana nowmatag
does not know anything about it cna anyone help???

If you know what the problem is, maybe the guys at Radio Shack can help, or
the local radio/TV repair guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

50 Meg. What unit. Might be a 50M resistor but capacitors have units like
uF, pF. A real big cap might have a value of 47,000UF or 56,000UF. It will
cost you $20-$50 or so but you can get them from any electronics store. Try
www.digikey.com or www.mouser.com and make sure you get the same voltage
rating.

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T062/1098.pdf

A 50M resistor is a $0.25 part from any electronics store including radio
shack or use five 10M resistors in series

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"mick" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an older Amana EAC 1 electronic air cleaner boy does it work
good or at least used to I need to replace a high output 50 meg
capactior on the device adn can not find where to go . Amana nowmatag
does not know anything about it cna anyone help???

If you know what the problem is, maybe the guys at Radio Shack can help,
or the local radio/TV repair guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
PipeDown wrote:
50 Meg. What unit. Might be a 50M resistor but capacitors have units
like uF, pF. A real big cap might have a value of 47,000UF or 56,000UF.
It will cost you $20-$50 or so but you can get them from any electronics
store. Try www.digikey.com or www.mouser.com and make sure you get the
same voltage rating.

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T062/1098.pdf

A 50M resistor is a $0.25 part from any electronics store including radio
shack or use five 10M resistors in series

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"mick" wrote in message
groups.com...

I have an older Amana EAC 1 electronic air cleaner boy does it work
good or at least used to I need to replace a high output 50 meg
capactior on the device adn can not find where to go . Amana nowmatag
does not know anything about it cna anyone help???

If you know what the problem is, maybe the guys at Radio Shack can help,
or the local radio/TV repair guy.

Hi,
Large capacitance is not a problem, high voltage rating might be.
Neg. ion generators use HV.

They are also very low current, I suspect he wants the resistor, a huge cap
like that has no business anywhere but a well filtered linear power supply
(as opposed to a switching PS) used to supply a fair amount of current and
very clean DC voltage. Not what I would expect to need for an air cleaner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cheese

OK, so this is a 50 mega ohm resistor that was made for Electro-Air
which name branded your Amana air cleaner. So, you will need to know
the length because they used two lengths. The shorter length can be
adapted to fit a longer socket. This part is very obsolete. However,
if you find a list of electronic air cleaner repair centers for
Emerson/Electro-Air, then you might get lucky with finding this rare
part. Try Air Rite Service in Cleveland at 800-228-8209.

Posted to alt.home.repair

He needs a high voltage resistor...one of those tiger stripe
resistors......about 2 inches long..metal caps on the ends.....

http://www.meci.com/ At one time these folks carried some surplus
tiger stripe resistors or you can search google for high voltage
resistors with about a 15-20 kilovolt rating.

Also... you could try some local heating and air conditioning companies
and see if they have any old air cleaners that they have taken out of
peoples homes...they would contain power packs with many usefull parts.

These air cleaners..older ones... were mostly made by emerson and
honeywell and the boards are fairly similer...using similer parts.

good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"mick" wrote in message ups.com...
I have an older Amana EAC 1 electronic air cleaner boy does it work
good or at least used to I need to replace a high output 50 meg
capactior on the device adn can not find where to go . Amana nowmatag
does not know anything about it cna anyone help???

I tried searching for the needed high voltage capacitor for a honeywell unit several
years back. They were priced really high, if you could even get one. I ended up replacing
the whole power supply with the new vintage that uses different technology.

Bob

Pool Cleaner Reviews Zac Roberts Home Repair 1 December 6th 05 04:03 PM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
How to repair an Electrolux vacuum cleaner? Tim Steele UK diy 9 June 14th 05 12:51 PM
Pool cleaner floating Mike Home Repair 2 May 5th 04 02:44 PM
Kenmore (Sears) Water Softener Cleaner -- How often? L. Dwynn Lafleur Home Repair 4 January 25th 04 07:28 AM