Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Thrasher

Default Finishing ceiling

I need to replace the 3 sheets of drywall in the washroom ceiling, a
room of 8'X12'. What are my options for finishing it? I kinda hate
that popcorn stuff but if I gotta then...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Steve Thrasher" wrote in message
I need to replace the 3 sheets of drywall in the washroom ceiling, a
room of 8'X12'. What are my options for finishing it? I kinda hate
that popcorn stuff but if I gotta then...

Don't do the popcorn stuff under any circumstances. It's hideous, and anyone
who disagrees with this is stupid. There's a special place in hell for
people who do textured ceilings.

Why do you need to do anything but tape the drywall and paint it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

While I will agree that the popcorn people belong in hell (along with
the wallpaper wackos), I don't mind a properly done textured ceiling.
That said , the only one I've ever saw that didn't nausiate me was done
with a sponge and JC then 'knocked down' with a broad knife.

Here's a sample and the rest of this site just made it to my favorites:
http://www.drywallschool.com/knockdown.htm

I will reiterate what Doug asked:
Why do you need to do anything but tape the drywall and paint it?

Paint the ceiling with ceiling white and you will have a hard time
finding even poorly taped joints.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
While I will agree that the popcorn people belong in hell (along with
the wallpaper wackos), I don't mind a properly done textured ceiling.
That said , the only one I've ever saw that didn't nausiate me was done
with a sponge and JC then 'knocked down' with a broad knife.

Here's a sample and the rest of this site just made it to my favorites:
http://www.drywallschool.com/knockdown.htm

I will reiterate what Doug asked:
Why do you need to do anything but tape the drywall and paint it?

Paint the ceiling with ceiling white and you will have a hard time
finding even poorly taped joints.

Wallpaper wackos: My bathroom is wallpapered. The previous owners even put
it in the shower. It's vinyl "paper", but even so, you have to be out of
your friggin' mind to do that. The corners are peeling, and no amount of
glue repair helps. It's being removed next week. Reserve a place in hell for
these idiots.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Steve Thrasher" wrote in message

I need to replace the 3 sheets of drywall in the washroom ceiling, a
room of 8'X12'. What are my options for finishing it? I kinda hate
that popcorn stuff but if I gotta then...

Don't do the popcorn stuff under any circumstances. It's hideous, and anyone
who disagrees with this is stupid. There's a special place in hell for
people who do textured ceilings.

Why do you need to do anything but tape the drywall and paint it?

Hi,
Then how about kick panel finish?
Or oil based painting?

Posted to alt.home.repair
chris jung

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
While I will agree that the popcorn people belong in hell (along with
the wallpaper wackos), I don't mind a properly done textured ceiling.
That said , the only one I've ever saw that didn't nausiate me was done
with a sponge and JC then 'knocked down' with a broad knife.

Here's a sample and the rest of this site just made it to my favorites:
http://www.drywallschool.com/knockdown.htm

Wow what a great site. Well done and very informative. We will be attempted
to do some DIY drywall work this summer and this site will help a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Wed, 03 May 2006 14:59:58 -0800, Steve Thrasher
wrote:

I need to replace the 3 sheets of drywall in the washroom ceiling, a
room of 8'X12'. What are my options for finishing it? I kinda hate
that popcorn stuff but if I gotta then...

Your parents taught you that there was no such thing as
a stupid question, didn't they?

Finish it. Don't.
Plaster (smooth, textured, patterned, bas releif)
Things that are like plaster but aren't (ditto)
Paint (uniform, patterned, pictures, textured)
Pressed tin.
Wallpaper, cloth.
Tinfoil.
planking, beadboard.
Thousands of AOL CDs cut in half and glued up like scales.
Plastic Luminescent panels.
Duct tape.
The severed ears of your enemies.
(although it's usually the walls that have ears.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Goedjn" wrote in message

Thousands of AOL CDs cut in half and glued up like scales.

Now, THAT puts the "K" in kustom! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Doug Kanter says...

"Steve Thrasher" wrote in message
I need to replace the 3 sheets of drywall in the washroom ceiling, a
room of 8'X12'. What are my options for finishing it? I kinda hate
that popcorn stuff but if I gotta then...

Don't do the popcorn stuff under any circumstances. It's hideous, and anyone
who disagrees with this is stupid. There's a special place in hell for
people who do textured ceilings.

Popcorn ceilings hide a multitude of sins (which can be a worry if you're not
the one who put it there) and absorb some sound. Whether or not they're "ugly"
is a matter of taste and fashion. I put them in the category of wooden floors
in the kitchen - they're in, popcorn ceilings are out; in the 2010's there's as
much chance that will be reversed (as folks are sanding water-damaged floors and
getting tired of hearing echos bouncing around their open floor plans) as
anything else.

Not that I really like popcorn either, but I have two refubished/remodelled
rooms with ceilings sand-textured by myself. Texturing mixed with Ben Moore's
flat white dove. In my older home, it was that or ripping stuff out and
re-drywalling, but there's no reason for that; I'm not going to do that for a
coupla nail pops and a slight sag where the roof trusses go from outside wall to
outside wall (how all these ranch houses were built back in 1960).

So, shall I repent now for the sake my afterlife?

Why do you need to do anything but tape the drywall and paint it?

Sand and mud, to (and repeat!) also, no?

Banty

Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Finishing Wood (Staining Cheerry? Oh No!) WillR Woodworking 9 June 9th 05 02:41 PM
Advice - Sagging Ceiling, Bump in the floor KT Home Repair 14 December 6th 04 11:12 PM
New kitchen ceiling questions [email protected] UK diy 3 November 5th 04 08:14 AM
Detecting Insulation in Ceiling and Walls Paul Home Repair 6 August 18th 03 05:59 PM