Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
catlyns

Default weird coincidences?

I need your help! I moved into my 50 year home in September, brought
with me many small electronic devices that worked just fine in my old
house.
When I moved in I noticed that 2 elements of my electric stove failed
to heat. My new neighbor claims that the previous owner replaced the
stove 3 times in 8 years, but I can't confirm.
In September, my Yamaha bookshelf stereo system (3 yrs old) slowly died
- I first noticed that it would play one song, then shut off, then half
a song and shut off, then wouldn't power on.
In October, my hair dryer (maybe 2 years old) stopped working. No
power at all.
In October, my iron(6 years old?) failed, power light came on but no
heat.
In November, my coffee maker (2 years old, Braun) failed, power light
came on but no heat.
In December, my electric hand mixer (8 years old?) failed, no power at
all.
In January, I asked my electric company to come out and investigate.
They tested at the meter and said that all voltage was within 5% of
acceptable voltage. I bought a tester and plugged it into every
electrical outlet in the house and the lights lit up correctly on the
tester for ground/neutral/whatever. In February I had an electrician
come out and inspect. He said that there is a surge protector on the
circuit box (not sure if terminology is exact, but the in house surge
is there) and that he couldn't find any problems.
In April, the coffee maker that I just bought in November (Mr. Coffee)
failed. Again, the power light comes on but it won't heat up!
The electrical appears to have been updated, in that there is a circuit
box with breakers and it's not full and all that.
Do I just have really bad luck with electronics, or is something
strange going on here?

weird lights issue Sasha Home Repair 18 December 14th 05 02:51 PM
Weird electrical problem Alexander Galkin Home Repair 18 January 6th 05 12:57 AM