Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default weird coincidences?

"catlyns" wrote in message
ps.com...
I need your help! I moved into my 50 year home in September, brought

(tale of woe snipped)
Again, the power light comes on but it won't heat up!
The electrical appears to have been updated, in that there is a circuit
box with breakers and it's not full and all that.
Do I just have really bad luck with electronics, or is something
strange going on here?

Spikes? Testing at the service entrance only tells the quality of the power
there, right then when they did the test. If you have a whole-house surge
protector, it may have crapped out. (You are talking about an extra ring
under the glass meter dome, right?) How long was the electrician there? Did
he open stuff up, or just check outlets with a meter? Call the electric
company back, and find out if they would be willing to leave a recording
device on site and plugged in, to monitor the power over 48 hours or so. If
they won't, an electrical contractor that does commercial work could do the
same, but it wouldn't be cheap. Quiz all your neighbors, especially those
fed off the same pole transformer as your house, and see if they had any
problems. If the mains power is dirty or off-spec, likely they will have had
problems, too. If not, something is fubar'd in your drop or inside wiring.

aem sends...