Posted to alt.home.repair
Brando

Default bathroom sinks plumbing leaking in wall

Hoping for some insight...we live in the phoenix area, 8 year old home.
Yesterday I noticed a small wet area on the ground (outside)at the base of
the foundation.
This area backs to the second bathroom. We have a water softener installed
outside in this area the backwash is plumbed into the wall to a sink drain.
I suspected the leak was from that so I turned on the backwash of the
softener and viola.. small drip soon appeared, but not directly below where
the line enters the home. I called the softener company to have them come
check the line. They came today and we discovered that with the line out
and the sinks running, the drip appears.
SO, it is safe to say there is a leak in the drainage plumbing in the wall
somewhere. Before I start tearing out the vanity cabinets and wall looking
for this leak, I wonder if there is anything I can do to seal this, perhaps
a product I can pour into the sink?
Anything?
My other thought...would this be easier to access from the outside? is there
anything that would structurally restrict me find the leak?
It just seems like alot less work taking out a piece of the outside wall.
The bathroom has dual sinks...is there a standard of how the drains meet up
behind the wall? I.E centered?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Brando wrote:

[...]

They might have done this:
http://www.shop.com/op/~*pvc_dwv_Dou...e-prod-9684067

but you never know.

8 yrs old, I assume the drainage is plastic.

If you could get a snake down the drain you might
be able to hear it outside to locate.
Maybe probe for it thru a small hole in the outside wall.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

You don't say what interior/exterior walls are made of, or what
obstructions (other than sinks) make interior access- which would be
the normal way- more difficult. Either way, you're going to have to
open up wall and fix leak, then repair wall. Consider how laborious
that exterior wall repair may be before going that route. Is it a nice
tile job inside? I could see why that might give you pause. Ask
yourself why this leak occurred- is it possible sinks shifted due to
inadequate support? Are pipes well braced, so thst joints are
protected from movement? Just things to consider, so you only need to
do this once. Do you have kids? I had mine once cause a leak due to
poorly braced exterior vent- which was a perfect target for their
sticks/baseball bats. Sounds like that backwash drain could be
something yours might fool with.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brando

"Sev" wrote in message
ups.com...
You don't say what interior/exterior walls are made of, or what
obstructions (other than sinks) make interior access- which would be
the normal way- more difficult. Either way, you're going to have to
open up wall and fix leak, then repair wall. Consider how laborious
that exterior wall repair may be before going that route. Is it a nice
tile job inside? I could see why that might give you pause. Ask
yourself why this leak occurred- is it possible sinks shifted due to
inadequate support? Are pipes well braced, so thst joints are
protected from movement? Just things to consider, so you only need to
do this once. Do you have kids? I had mine once cause a leak due to
poorly braced exterior vent- which was a perfect target for their
sticks/baseball bats. Sounds like that backwash drain could be
something yours might fool with.

The exterior wall is stucco over foam sheeting as far as i know.
The wall in the bathroom is gypsum, easy to repair, but the issue is the
wall is behind a double sink vanity with cultured marble top.
I have no idea how to remove this thing. How are they normally attched to
the floor/wall? Do i need to remove the sinktop first?

If its not that difficult, id would just assume NOT try to tear through the
stucco and repair IT.
No kids, really no clue as to why this started leaking.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Brando" wrote in message

"Sev" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Can't you just hunker down and work under the sink while it is in place.
Get a 3 or 4" hole saw, pick a spot and dig in assuming the leak is above
the floor level. Who cares if you hack a hole in the back of the vanity,
noone will see it anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brando

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Brando" wrote in message
> [...]

"Sev" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Ya, i am going to look at doing that, it is really tight and the way the
vanity is built there is a support in the center of the back of the unit
that i may need to remove if even temporarily.

I am going to call a couple plumbers and see what they estimate and go from
there...