Posted to alt.home.repair
Brando

Default bathroom sinks plumbing leaking in wall

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Brando" wrote in message

"Sev" wrote in message
ups.com...
You don't say what interior/exterior walls are made of, or what
obstructions (other than sinks) make interior access- which would be
the normal way- more difficult. Either way, you're going to have to
open up wall and fix leak, then repair wall. Consider how laborious
that exterior wall repair may be before going that route. Is it a nice
tile job inside? I could see why that might give you pause. Ask
yourself why this leak occurred- is it possible sinks shifted due to
inadequate support? Are pipes well braced, so thst joints are
protected from movement? Just things to consider, so you only need to
do this once. Do you have kids? I had mine once cause a leak due to
poorly braced exterior vent- which was a perfect target for their
sticks/baseball bats. Sounds like that backwash drain could be
something yours might fool with.

The exterior wall is stucco over foam sheeting as far as i know.
The wall in the bathroom is gypsum, easy to repair, but the issue is the
wall is behind a double sink vanity with cultured marble top.
I have no idea how to remove this thing. How are they normally attched
to the floor/wall? Do i need to remove the sinktop first?

If its not that difficult, id would just assume NOT try to tear through
the stucco and repair IT.
No kids, really no clue as to why this started leaking.

Can't you just hunker down and work under the sink while it is in place.
Get a 3 or 4" hole saw, pick a spot and dig in assuming the leak is above
the floor level. Who cares if you hack a hole in the back of the vanity,
noone will see it anyway.

Ya, i am going to look at doing that, it is really tight and the way the
vanity is built there is a support in the center of the back of the unit
that i may need to remove if even temporarily.

I am going to call a couple plumbers and see what they estimate and go from
there...