Posted to alt.home.repair
Eddie G

Default water softener...how long until deposits go away

I need to have a water softener installed...after it is in, how long
until I notice improvement in water flow?

Thanks!

Eddie G

Posted to alt.home.repair
jdk

Eddie G wrote:
I need to have a water softener installed...after it is in, how long
until I notice improvement in water flow?

Thanks!

Eddie G

a day or so or sooner for cold water. it takes longer for the hot water
because of the amount of water in the tank needs to be used. you will be
happy with soft water.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Eddie G wrote:
I need to have a water softener installed...after it is in, how long
until I notice improvement in water flow?

Thanks!

Eddie G

for pipes that are partially plugs with calcium/magnesium carbonates, it
will take years for the damage to be undone in those pipes.

the plated out minerals will SLOWLY dissolve into the soft water flowing
across them.

Water quality will improve IMMEDIATELY. You will notice a HUGE
difference in the bath (skin feels SLICK, like the soap has not washed
off), in the laundry (1/4 the detergent needed to get clothes clean)

A softener will not deal with water pressure and water flow issues
caused by carbonate plating, at least not immediately.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
om...
Eddie G wrote:
I need to have a water softener installed...after it is in, how long
until I notice improvement in water flow?
Thanks!

Eddie G

for pipes that are partially plugs with calcium/magnesium carbonates, it
will take years for the damage to be undone in those pipes.

the plated out minerals will SLOWLY dissolve into the soft water flowing
across them.

Water quality will improve IMMEDIATELY. You will notice a HUGE difference
in the bath (skin feels SLICK, like the soap has not washed off), in the
laundry (1/4 the detergent needed to get clothes clean)

A softener will not deal with water pressure and water flow issues caused
by carbonate plating, at least not immediately.

Hmmm...... Just musing but.......... If one carbonated the house water
thus creating carbonic acid, such a system would tend to descale pipes and
you could have soda water from the tap. It would put new meaning into
bubble bath too.

BTW, one would not want to acidify tap water to descale pipes because once
the scale was gone, it could leach lead out of solder

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"jdk" wrote in message
.. .
Eddie G wrote:
I need to have a water softener installed...after it is in, how long
until I notice improvement in water flow?

Thanks!

Eddie G

a day or so or sooner for cold water. it takes longer for the hot water
because of the amount of water in the tank needs to be used. you will be
happy with soft water.

I'm not- hate that slippery feeling, and not knowing when the soap is rinsed
off. But at least it doesn't stink like sulphur any more, and the toilets
don't get a layer of rust-color scum in a week. (And yes, I already turned
the softener down to about half on the scale.)

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"Eddie G" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to have a water softener installed...after it is in, how
long
until I notice improvement in water flow?

Thanks!

Eddie G

Wait a minute: What do you mean by " improvement in water flow? "
.. YOu'll notice the cold water is softened pretty quickly, the
hot, maybe a day or three depending on how much of it you use.
But ... if you're looking for an increase inthe flow of water,
that wont happen, if ever, for a very long time.

Perhaps you should clarify your question.

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eddie G

What I meant to ask is how long until the deposits on the spigots that
impede water flow will dissolve away with soft water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it were me, I would clean deposits off the spigots with something
like CLR or white vinegar, rather than waiting for the softened water
to do it. Once cleaned off, they will not build up again now that the
water is softened. You can soak a spigot or shower head in white
vinegar by putting the vinegar in a plastic bag and rubber-banding the
bag to the fixture so that it remains immersed in the vinegar. Then, a
little scrubbing with an old toothbrush and it should be good to go.

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Maybe never but surely a very long time as in months or years.
Better to clean them with an appropriate cleaner. CLR if nothing
else.

HTH
Pop

"Eddie G" wrote in message
oups.com...
What I meant to ask is how long until the deposits on the
spigots that
impede water flow will dissolve away with soft water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Pop wrote:
Maybe never but surely a very long time as in months or years.
Better to clean them with an appropriate cleaner. CLR if nothing
else.

HTH
Pop

"Eddie G" wrote in message
oups.com...

What I meant to ask is how long until the deposits on the
spigots that
impede water flow will dissolve away with soft water.

If you have deposits on the spigots, there is also likely to be plating
on the pipes in the walls, ceiling, and basement. It will take a very
long time as suggested above for this flow restriction in the pipes to
go away. CLR or Vinegar soaking in a p;astic bag tied around the
spigot will help, and followed with vigorous brushing with a old
toothbrush will clean the heavy scale off. However, the screen in the
areator may be plugged too, so it may need to be removed, soaked, and
scrubbed, or simply replaced.