Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

Default tire inflaction with a compressor

This has been bugging me for awhile.

If I fill a tire with a small pancake (I think its 4 gallons) compressor can
I just set the regulartor to the pressure that I want and it will "stop"
when it hits that pressure or will it explode the tire?

I have a real inflator with a built in dial gauge now, but I always thought
that I could do it this way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Cliff Hartle" wrote in message
This has been bugging me for awhile.

If I fill a tire with a small pancake (I think its 4 gallons) compressor
can I just set the regulartor to the pressure that I want and it will
"stop" when it hits that pressure or will it explode the tire?

I have a real inflator with a built in dial gauge now, but I always
thought that I could do it this way.

I've never seen a gauge on any inflation device that could be trusted. They
*always* seem to read differently from separate gauges.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

"Cliff Hartle" wrote in message
This has been bugging me for awhile.

If I fill a tire with a small pancake (I think its 4 gallons) compressor
can I just set the regulartor to the pressure that I want and it will
"stop" when it hits that pressure or will it explode the tire?

I have a real inflator with a built in dial gauge now, but I always
thought that I could do it this way.

My compressors will stop at the set point but why take that risk with your
tire or anything else?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

I always check with a tire gauge and then just goto what ever the inflator
gauge reads.

I had a cheap 12 v inflator that I marked the gauge to give me the correct
setting.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Cliff Hartle" wrote in message
This has been bugging me for awhile.

If I fill a tire with a small pancake (I think its 4 gallons) compressor
can I just set the regulartor to the pressure that I want and it will
"stop" when it hits that pressure or will it explode the tire?

I have a real inflator with a built in dial gauge now, but I always
thought that I could do it this way.

I've never seen a gauge on any inflation device that could be trusted.
They *always* seem to read differently from separate gauges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I always check with a tire gauge and then just goto what ever the inflator
gauge reads.

I had a cheap 12 v inflator that I marked the gauge to give me the correct
setting.

Now, there's a free and easy solution I never thought of. Slap me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Cliff Hartle wrote:
This has been bugging me for awhile.

If I fill a tire with a small pancake (I think its 4 gallons)
compressor can I just set the regulartor to the pressure that I want
and it will "stop" when it hits that pressure or will it explode the
tire?
I have a real inflator with a built in dial gauge now, but I always
thought that I could do it this way.

The two compressors I have do not regulate their pressure anywhere close
to accurate enough for a car tyre. Also I would not want to wait until they
finally got the tyre full if they were limited to the final pressure. It
takes a long time to bring a tyre from 35 psi to 40 psi if your compressor
is only supplying 40 psi.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
Cliff Hartle wrote:
This has been bugging me for awhile.

If I fill a tire with a small pancake (I think its 4 gallons)
compressor can I just set the regulartor to the pressure that I want
and it will "stop" when it hits that pressure or will it explode the
tire?
I have a real inflator with a built in dial gauge now, but I always
thought that I could do it this way.

The two compressors I have do not regulate their pressure anywhere
close to accurate enough for a car tyre. Also I would not want to wait
until they finally got the tyre full if they were limited to the final
pressure. It takes a long time to bring a tyre from 35 psi to 40 psi if
your compressor is only supplying 40 psi.

I actually tried it that way a few weeks ago. Don't know if it would have
worked or not; like you say, the last 5psi would have taken hours. So I
just cranked it back up to 120psi.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:29:12 GMT, "Cliff Hartle"
wrote:

This has been bugging me for awhile.

If I fill a tire with a small pancake (I think its 4 gallons) compressor can
I just set the regulartor to the pressure that I want and it will "stop"
when it hits that pressure or will it explode the tire?

I'm not acquainted with pancakes, afaik, but how about setting it to 4
pounds below what you want, and watching it to see what happens. Then
set it to just what you want, and see what happens.

If it stops, you can measure the pressure, and if it doesn't stop,
surely you can turn it off before it explodes.

I have a real inflator with a built in dial gauge now, but I always thought
that I could do it this way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Asberry

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:04:21 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Cliff Hartle wrote:
This has been bugging me for awhile.

If I fill a tire with a small pancake (I think its 4 gallons)
compressor can I just set the regulartor to the pressure that I want
and it will "stop" when it hits that pressure or will it explode the
tire?
I have a real inflator with a built in dial gauge now, but I always
thought that I could do it this way.

The two compressors I have do not regulate their pressure anywhere close
to accurate enough for a car tyre. Also I would not want to wait until they
finally got the tyre full if they were limited to the final pressure. It
takes a long time to bring a tyre from 35 psi to 40 psi if your compressor
is only supplying 40 psi.

Not if you use a full flow regulator.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--