Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
heckheck

Default Recommendations for a quiet 10" square heat vent

Help I can't sleep!

We just had an attic forced air gas heating system installed as part of
an addition. The heat system is FAR from quiet. The heating
contractor has already been back once and says he doesn't think he can
make it much quieter.

I have found by removing a vent cover that the problem is almost 100%
due to the air noise created as the air flows through the supply and
return vent covers. No covers, no noise, period. Right now he has the
supply covers as concentric square louvered vents, with a damper behind
the concentric squares. The damper is fully open. For the returns, he
has grills with 1/4" slant fins. These whistle like crazy and HAVE TO
GO.

I've asked him to slow down the heating fan (it has 4 speeds), but I
don't know which speed he has it on now. Obviously too low, and we'll
lose efficiency.

We're only heating one master bedroom (plus bathroom and walk in
closet) with this system, so I'm considering removing the damper
portion of the vents, as I don't think I need it.

Does anybody have a product recommendation for a quiet vent. The vents
are on 10" mount boxes fed by 8" flexi tube (I think).

Thanks,

-Jim Heck

New thermostat ~~~AAA~~~ Home Repair 5 March 1st 06 02:20 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
prog. therm. and heat pump questions Abby Normal Home Repair 119 December 22nd 05 12:38 PM
Heat pump thermostat question Michael Baugh Home Repair 6 January 26th 04 07:50 AM
Heat Keeps Shutting Off Frontier Home Repair 29 December 24th 03 01:44 PM