Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
scott moore

Default Replacing underground conduit section

Hi,

I have a section of conduit that runs to the pool pump, its rigid,
underground, and originally bent upwards to go to the electrical box.

The original installation was done 20 years ago by someone interested
in saving a few bucks. The conduit surfaces next to the concrete pump
pad, to a box there. Both the original equipment and the electrical box
was out in the open, where the rain and sprinklers reduced it to a mass
of rusted crap.

I have replaced the pool pump, made a nice enclosure for it, now I want
to replace the electrical box, but I want to rerun it so that it comes
up through the concrete pad and is sheltered from the rain and
sprinklers, just as the new pump is.

The problem is, the original conduit, which is thick wall threaded pipe,
was bent to 90 degrees. I need to cut it, then reroute it one foot to
emerge inside the pad/shelter. The existing wire is long enough to allow
this. But there does not seem to be an easy way to run the wire, in a
new conduit, attached to the old, and around a 90 degree bend.

A "conduit U joint" would do it, but I don't see that sold locally. The
local hardware store is telling me to replace ALL of it, which is
insane. 20 feet or so runs underground into the house, and another 10
feet or so dives under the concrete patio and 5 feet down to the pool
light.

Do I need to find a conduit U joint? (or just use a standard water
U joint), and is this ok to bury? I just need this last foot of conduit,
not to rip up and replace the entire system.

Thanks,

Scott Moore