wahzoo

Default ? NEC and ridgid metal conduit

I'm confused by NEC 314.28 which deals with the mininum sizes of
conduit bodies for straight and angle pulls.

I have a 2" conduit I'm using for feeders. The conductors are bigger
than 4 awg. As it goes up the structure there are tees where
individual feeders leave to reach the load center for that floor. Is
this article inferring that the use of conduit bodies to make the tee
is not allowed? --because bodies of that size don't exist. For
instance I've never seen 2" Tee conduit body that is 24" long (6 x
trade size x 2 for each side).

--wahzoo

PS. And what about service entrance LB's? Most are well under 6 x
trade size in length.
TURTLE

"wahzoo" wrote in message om...
I'm confused by NEC 314.28 which deals with the mininum sizes of
conduit bodies for straight and angle pulls.

I have a 2" conduit I'm using for feeders. The conductors are bigger
than 4 awg. As it goes up the structure there are tees where
individual feeders leave to reach the load center for that floor. Is
this article inferring that the use of conduit bodies to make the tee
is not allowed? --because bodies of that size don't exist. For
instance I've never seen 2" Tee conduit body that is 24" long (6 x
trade size x 2 for each side).

--wahzoo

PS. And what about service entrance LB's? Most are well under 6 x
trade size in length.

This is Turtle.

You can come off a switch box to 1 to 5 floors in one conduit [ if size wire will fit conduit ] and then if you want to branch out
to each floor from any point. You must have juction box [ what you call a conduit body ] whenever your branching off. They make
juction boxes in different size and you get the size per NEC & number of take offs and put it there to branch off. The day and age
of just putting a 4 way Tee was stopped many many years ago. No let me stop here, yes you may see it but it is not nice to fool
Mother NEC.

The 2" Tee Conduit Body / Juction box comes in any size you want.

I really don't know who I'm talking to here but you need to leave Home Depot and go over to a Electrical supply house and get your
equipment. They will have just about anything you want to do a job like this.

TURTLE

---

volts500

"wahzoo" wrote in message
om...
I'm confused by NEC 314.28 which deals with the mininum sizes of
conduit bodies for straight and angle pulls.

I have a 2" conduit I'm using for feeders. The conductors are bigger
than 4 awg. As it goes up the structure there are tees where
individual feeders leave to reach the load center for that floor. Is
this article inferring that the use of conduit bodies to make the tee
is not allowed? --because bodies of that size don't exist. For
instance I've never seen 2" Tee conduit body that is 24" long (6 x
trade size x 2 for each side).

--wahzoo

PS. And what about service entrance LB's? Most are well under 6 x
trade size in length.

Read the entire section...."Section 314.28(A)(3) Smaller Dimensions", allows
smaller conduit bodies and boxes _IF_ "... the box or conduit body has been
listed for and is permanently marked with the minimum number and maximum
size of conductors permitted." You'll usually find the marking inside the
conduit body. Or you can posssibly use a 4" x 4" x 24" trough.

wahzoo

Read the entire section...."Section 314.28(A)(3) Smaller Dimensions", allows
smaller conduit bodies and boxes _IF_ "... the box or conduit body has been
listed for and is permanently marked with the minimum number and maximum
size of conductors permitted." You'll usually find the marking inside the
conduit body. Or you can posssibly use a 4" x 4" x 24" trough.

Yep, there it is. Don't know how I missed it. What a relief. Thanks.