Posted to alt.home.repair
Nospam

Default installing baseboard trim in a room

Is there a good book (or website) such as "Trim Work for Dummies" that gives
instructions for replacing trip. I am looking for a little depth such as
what to do if the floor is not perfectly level, and how to square door
frames, etc.

Thanks,
Robert

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

I found over 50 results for "finish carpentry" at www.Amazon.com

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brad

I usually use a paintable caulking along the edges of the trim to allow
for the floor and wall not being level.
Brad

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nospam

Joseph,

You are correct. However I could not find a "Trim Carpentry for
Dummies".

Thanks,
Robert
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Nospam wrote:
Is there a good book (or website) such as "Trim Work for Dummies"
that gives instructions for replacing trip. I am looking for a
little depth such as what to do if the floor is not perfectly level,
and how to square door frames, etc.

Thanks,
Robert

I found over 50 results for "finish carpentry" at www.Amazon.com

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Nospam wrote:
Is there a good book (or website) such as "Trim Work for Dummies" that gives
instructions for replacing trip. I am looking for a little depth such as
what to do if the floor is not perfectly level, and how to square door
frames, etc.

Taunton's books are about the best I've found.
http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070450.asp

As far as the base trim on an out of level floor, it depends on how far
it is out. I almost always use built up trim - at the very least a
shoe molding - so that takes care of the simple cases. If the floor is
out more than the shoe will cover (about a third of the shoe height),
then I start scribing the base to the floor. The only caveat with that
technique is if you're following the floor around the room and end up
where you started, the pieces won't necessarily align and then you have
issues. Shoot the floor with a laser, scribe your horizontal line and
run the base to that.

Squaring a door frame...I'm not sure I understand your question. It's
always easier to hang the door in the jamb and install it as a unit. I
use the door itself and a strip of hardwood as a spacer guage. If you
have an equal space on the top and strike side you have a squared
installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nospam

R,
I appreciate advice. I am planning on using Plinth blocks and Rosettes
to make the joint simple. Also I am planning on using 5/16 by 5.25
baseboard for a more elegant look. With this material, I was hoping to
avoid quarter-round.

Thanks,
Robert

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Nospam wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Nospam" wrote in message
Is there a good book (or website) such as "Trim Work for Dummies" that
gives instructions for replacing trip. I am looking for a little depth
such as what to do if the floor is not perfectly level, and how to square
door frames, etc.

Thanks,
Robert

I just finished trimming out 3 rooms at my home with base and shoe with no
book or lessons. I now have a much greater appreciation for those folks
that are true "Finish Carpenters"! Angles, how to measure, etc... all
drove me nuts for a while. I've build a lot of fine furniture and this work
was the more frustrating. The last room I've done looks pretty good but
there are still a few gaps that only I'll probably notice. I stained the
moulding so can't get away with "caulk and paint". Anyway, if there is
truly a good book out there, I'd be interested. Of course, I'm now done
with the trim work in the house but who knows. Taunton is well respected
and their Fine Woodworking magazine is still the best. I own a few of their
books and they are excellent as well. You probably won't go wrong with the
earlier suggestion recommending them.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nospam

Cubby,
Thanks for the feedback . I will go with the Taunton book.

Regards,
Robert
"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

"Nospam" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Nospam wrote:
R,
I appreciate advice. I am planning on using Plinth blocks and Rosettes
to make the joint simple. Also I am planning on using 5/16 by 5.25
baseboard for a more elegant look. With this material, I was hoping to
avoid quarter-round.

5/16...? I hope that's a typo. And quarter round is not the correct
shoe molding to use. There are several choices in shoe moldings -
they're all taller than they are deep. Without shoe molding you had
better plan on spending a _lot_ more time on your baseboard
installation with an out of level floor.

Definitely get the Taunton book before you buy your material. There's
more to trim selection then look and price.

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Nospam" wrote in message
Cubby,
Thanks for the feedback . I will go with the Taunton book.

I just ordered it myself!
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gideon

Joseph Meehan wasted bandwidth by saying

I found over 50 results for "finish carpentry" at www.Amazon.com

For Christ sake, I found 400,000,000 results for "wood" on Google.
And 15,200,000 results for "wood trim." Your "advice" is totally
worthless.

is venting your dryer to the house O.K in winter? Pawel Home Repair 173 November 25th 05 08:30 PM
Wood trim total replacement rdpintexas Home Repair 3 September 29th 05 09:57 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Die Spammer !!!!! Woodworking 20 July 26th 03 02:35 PM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Mark & Shauna Home Repair 20 July 26th 03 02:35 PM