Posted to alt.home.repair
helpme

Default remove texture from walls

There is rough texture on the walls in my bathroom. The texture is uneven
and there is not pattern. It does have some sharp ridges. Unfortunately,
it is also on a large living room wall also. It has been painted over
with semi-gloss paint. What is the easiest/neatest/fastest way to make
the walls smooth again?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mikeytag

If you want to make them completely smooth again then the fastest way is to
sand down through the texture to the drywall. However, this is neither neat
or fast and once you are done sanding you will have to retexture all the
areas you sanded down. My bathroom had a strange texture like you are
talking about. We paid a guy $80 to come in and respray the whole room
with texture. He did a good job and now the texture is uniform throughout
the whole room and it seems to look fine just going over the other
texture. Unfortunately, there is not a very easy way to fix this problem
though.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"helpme" noreply@ wrote in message
news:bbfa5f784dad0018ff9ecebdb1f9fd10@homerepairli ve.com...
There is rough texture on the walls in my bathroom. The texture is uneven
and there is not pattern. It does have some sharp ridges. Unfortunately,
it is also on a large living room wall also. It has been painted over
with semi-gloss paint. What is the easiest/neatest/fastest way to make
the walls smooth again?

The only practical way is to skim coat the whole wall with drywall mud, then
prime and repaint.

How hard that is depends on your skill with a drywall knife. An expert can
avoid almost all sanding, a hack will end up sanding off 50% of what they
put up. at least you do not have to tape the joints.