Dave Payne

Default touching up walls

Hi,

I recently purchased a new house and naturally have already gotten a few
dings here and there in the walls. I'm having a devil of a time touching
the walls up though and making it look decent. After I touch up the spot,
you can still see it when it dries. I've tried a brush, a small paint
roller, a foam brush, and even a q-tip, but nothing seems to work. My guess
is that it's because the walls were painted with a sprayer and it's about
impossible to get that same texture when touching up.

I'm using Duron paint (Mushroom basket) in case that matters.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips.

Thanks.

Dano

"Dave Payne" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,

I recently purchased a new house and naturally have already gotten a few
dings here and there in the walls. I'm having a devil of a time touching
the walls up though and making it look decent. After I touch up the spot,
you can still see it when it dries. I've tried a brush, a small paint
roller, a foam brush, and even a q-tip, but nothing seems to work. My

guess
is that it's because the walls were painted with a sprayer and it's about
impossible to get that same texture when touching up.

I'm using Duron paint (Mushroom basket) in case that matters.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips.

Thanks.

unfortunately touching up walls only works if the paint is about a week old,
the elements within our homes changes the new look of paint, curing time is
also a factor so wait about a week and see if it still looks as bad...my
experience has been unless your ready to paint the walls, don't touch up
unless the paint is less than a couple weeks old.. 3 cans of the same color
paint can yield different shades, that's why you should mix all the paint
together for a consistent paint job on big areas...good luck, if the areas
are extremely small, try a sponge or terry cloth rag to "dab" it on!

MaryL

"Dave Payne" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,

I recently purchased a new house and naturally have already gotten a few
dings here and there in the walls. I'm having a devil of a time touching
the walls up though and making it look decent. After I touch up the spot,
you can still see it when it dries. I've tried a brush, a small paint
roller, a foam brush, and even a q-tip, but nothing seems to work. My

guess
is that it's because the walls were painted with a sprayer and it's about
impossible to get that same texture when touching up.

I'm using Duron paint (Mushroom basket) in case that matters.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips.

Thanks.

I have had pretty good results (using the same color mix of paint, even on
paint several years old) if I use a very small amount of paint on a DAMP
sponge, then dab lightly on the wall. This works best for small areas and
the think watered-down application seems to permit the two "ages" of paint
to blend together. I even had good results on one place where someone had
permitted black rubber to mar the wall. I first sprayed the black residue
with hair spray (a trick I was taught years ago by a painter -- it coats the
surface so it won't bleed through the new paint).

MaryL

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:01:18 GMT, "Dave Payne"
wrote:

Hi,

I recently purchased a new house and naturally have already gotten a few
dings here and there in the walls. I'm having a devil of a time touching
the walls up though and making it look decent. After I touch up the spot,
you can still see it when it dries.

I've had excellent results touching up paint that was in some cases
several years old.

I use a "dry roller" technique. Put very little paint on a roller,
start on the ding, and roll away from it in all directions. The goal
is to barely put any paint on, and have it taper to nothing a few feet
from the ding.

In about 4 of 10 cases where the touch up is still noticeable, I've
allowed the new paint a few weeks to dry, then scrubbbed down the wall
with a sponge and mild detergent. The scrubbing seems to blend things
better.

In some cases, nothing works, but this has worked well in about 9 of
10 places I've tried it.

Barry

Dave Payne

Thanks for all the responses folks. I actually ended up pouring a small
amount of paint into a cup and then watering it down and using a foam brush
to kind of blend it all in. It worked pretty well. I think watering it
down was the key, because I think when they sprayed it on originally, they
have to water it down so the paint will flow through the sprayer.

I'll have to try the sponge/cloth technique next time.

Thanks again for the advice!

"Dave Payne" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,

I recently purchased a new house and naturally have already gotten a few
dings here and there in the walls. I'm having a devil of a time touching
the walls up though and making it look decent. After I touch up the spot,
you can still see it when it dries. I've tried a brush, a small paint
roller, a foam brush, and even a q-tip, but nothing seems to work. My

guess
is that it's because the walls were painted with a sprayer and it's about
impossible to get that same texture when touching up.

I'm using Duron paint (Mushroom basket) in case that matters.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips.

Thanks.

Cliff Hartle

The painters probably didn't use water. They would have used a product
called flowtrol (sp?)

Its for thinning down paint for spraying and it will also give you a
smoother almost spray like finish when you use a roller.

A small foam roller and a light touch when you get to the end of your roll
will blend it in.

. com...