Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

Default fridge-freezer thermostat - cold control - adjustement of screws

Hotpoint RF60 - 20 year old fridge freezer. The freezer is at the bottom
and there's a single cold control in the fridge governing both units.
This thermostat failed. The repair firm fitted a universal replacement and
caused me no end of trouble as it ran too cold even with the control knob
set at its lowest.

There are 2 factory preset screws in the body of the thermostat and here are
my findings on what they do.

The first screw - the External screw - has its head on the outside of the
body of the thermostat. This screw shifts both the make and break temps of
the contacts i.e. the temps at which the compressor comes on and goes off.
Clockwise shifts both temps warmer. (Anti-clockwise the reverse.)

The second screw- the Internal screw - has its head visible through a hole
in the top of the body adjacent to the external screw. This screw, like
the cold control knob, only shifts the break point of the contacts i.e. the
temp at which the compressor switches off. Anticlockwise makes it switch
off at a warmer temp etc.

I found a screw under the plastic cover plate behind the contacts. It acts
as a stop for the contacts. I did not find any effect on temp of
adjusting this screw.

Hope this helps someone in the future to avoid the trouble I've had.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

Update, I contacted www.fridgedoctor.com and got some excellent free help
from them. I've also sent off for their brilliant-looking fridge repair
book and cd.