Posted to alt.home.repair
cmay

Default Who would install network lines?

I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports
installed most of the rooms.

I could probably do it myself, but I really don't have the time, and
honestly don't want to risk mucking something up.

Who exactly should I hire to do this, an electrician or someone else?
What kind of fee (not including hardware) should I expect?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

cmay wrote:

I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports
installed most of the rooms.

I could probably do it myself, but I really don't have the time, and
honestly don't want to risk mucking something up.

Who exactly should I hire to do this, an electrician or someone else?
What kind of fee (not including hardware) should I expect?

Hi,
Wireless not an option?
There is one so called communication electrician I believe.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter

"cmay" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports
installed most of the rooms.

I could probably do it myself, but I really don't have the time, and
honestly don't want to risk mucking something up.

Who exactly should I hire to do this, an electrician or someone else?
What kind of fee (not including hardware) should I expect?

Here in Australia lots of electricians also install network cabling

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

"cmay" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports
installed most of the rooms.

Any electrician would be able to run the wires... Just tell him that it is
very important that he not put kinks in the lines or staple them to
something such that the staple would put too much stress on the line... Have
him just install the boxes in the walls and you can wire up the RJ-45
connectors yourself... You'll want to have one room where your ethernet
hub/switch is located and every other rooms cable will come to it... In a
previous house, I ran 100BaseT to six rooms, so I had a 6 jack faceplate in
one room and I mouted the hub flat against the wall next to it... I make up
some short patch cables to go from the hub to the wall faceplate... The
modular connector wallplates to which I had access only allowed 6 jacks on
the faceplate... If I had needed more than that,. I would have just
installed more 6-jack outlets nearby... You'll probably want the hub to be
in the same room where your broadband access line (cable modem, DSL, etc)
and router is located... It's possible to locate it elsewhere, but not more
convenient when everything is in the same room...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 16 Apr 2006 20:50:32 -0700, "cmay" wrote:

I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports
installed most of the rooms.

I could probably do it myself, but I really don't have the time, and
honestly don't want to risk mucking something up.

Who exactly should I hire to do this, an electrician or someone else?
What kind of fee (not including hardware) should I expect?

Look under telephones xxxx in the yellow pages, or ask the phone
company for recommendations or a place to get them. Look on the
bulletin board at a phone supply store, although I guess I would want
him to provide recommendations that I verified before I let him drill
holes in my house. Maybe the owner or manager of the store will
recommend someone.

I think you can find someone cheaper than an electrician because there
are afaik no safety issues that require knowledge of the electrical
code or other electrician smarts.

Call someone who does hardwired burglar alarms. I don't know if he'll
want to do it, but he might have a name.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

On 16 Apr 2006 20:50:32 -0700, "cmay" wrote:

I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports
installed most of the rooms.

Who exactly should I hire to do this, an electrician or someone else?
What kind of fee (not including hardware) should I expect?

Home alarm installers. This would be my choice. They are experienced
in fishing lines in homes. And they are doing more network installs
(particularly in new houses).

Telephone installers.

Network installers. There are people and companies that specialize in
this. They mostly work in commercial buildings, however, and may not
be so adept in homes. If you can't find them in the yellow pages, call
local computer stores, if they support local businesses, they will
know who does this.

Electricians, they are doing this more and more. Find one who mostly
works on existing homes, not new homes. May be expensive for the job.

Make sure whoever you end up with has experience with this, otherwise
they will botch the terminations and/or kink the cable. Ask for
refrerences, etc.

Terry
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On 16 Apr 2006 20:50:32 -0700, "cmay" wrote:

I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports
installed most of the rooms.

I could probably do it myself, but I really don't have the time, and
honestly don't want to risk mucking something up.

Who exactly should I hire to do this, an electrician or someone else?
What kind of fee (not including hardware) should I expect?

If a wireless network is not an option, I would ensure the installer
uses CAT 5E solid core wire for the backbone and twisted pair wire for
the patch cables. (no kinks as previously mentioned)

If you have a local computer group in your area you might contact them
and they most likely will know someone in your area.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
cmay

Yea wireless is an option, I have it wireless now.

I do a lot of work on my network, I have about 10 computers (I write
software) and frequently want to do things like run backups from my
machines to my server, which takes a really long time over the wifi.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home

I would say it depends on how concerned you are with the finished
appearance.

My experience is that electricians know how to put the lines and boxes
inside the walls, which gives the nicest appearance.

There may be some cable installers who do this, but I have seen four
installations, and on each one they either run the cable along the
molding and over the door frames, or drill a hole in the wall, run the
cable outside, and run it back inside where you want the box, and the
box is just mounted on the wall, not in it. Maybe I'm too picky, but I
think such an installation looks cheap.

My son went with wireless recently and it works well, and gives him the
option of relocating his devices in the rooms without running a lot of
connecting cables across the room. I'll probably switch to that the
next time I get ambitious.

cmay wrote:
I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports
installed most of the rooms.

I could probably do it myself, but I really don't have the time, and
honestly don't want to risk mucking something up.

Who exactly should I hire to do this, an electrician or someone else?
What kind of fee (not including hardware) should I expect?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

uses CAT 5E solid core wire for the backbone and twisted pair wire for

It's ALL twisted pair. You mean solid for backbone and stranded for patch?

Electricians/alarm/telephone SAY they can do it... but. I would insist on a
person with network or multimedia infrastructure certification. You may also
be forced to use a raceway...
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"cmay" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports
installed most of the rooms.

I could probably do it myself, but I really don't have the time, and
honestly don't want to risk mucking something up.

Who exactly should I hire to do this, an electrician or someone else?
What kind of fee (not including hardware) should I expect?

Regulations vary from state to state. Here anyone can install network wire.

Pulling wire inside residential walls is a big job, very time consuming if
done right.

Half to 2/3 the hourly rate for an electrician and a helper in your area is
the best you will do.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:06:03 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

uses CAT 5E solid core wire for the backbone and twisted pair wire for

It's ALL twisted pair. You mean solid for backbone and stranded for patch?

A malfunction between the chair and keyboard, oops...