Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home

Default Who would install network lines?

I would say it depends on how concerned you are with the finished
appearance.

My experience is that electricians know how to put the lines and boxes
inside the walls, which gives the nicest appearance.

There may be some cable installers who do this, but I have seen four
installations, and on each one they either run the cable along the
molding and over the door frames, or drill a hole in the wall, run the
cable outside, and run it back inside where you want the box, and the
box is just mounted on the wall, not in it. Maybe I'm too picky, but I
think such an installation looks cheap.

My son went with wireless recently and it works well, and gives him the
option of relocating his devices in the rooms without running a lot of
connecting cables across the room. I'll probably switch to that the
next time I get ambitious.

cmay wrote:
I have a house (built in 1920) that I want to have network ports
installed most of the rooms.

I could probably do it myself, but I really don't have the time, and
honestly don't want to risk mucking something up.

Who exactly should I hire to do this, an electrician or someone else?
What kind of fee (not including hardware) should I expect?