Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Guay

Default Water pump keeps running...

Hi,
My house water is from a shallow well with the pump located in my basement.
It is a jet style pump with two lines running down into the well. Twice in
the last few days, both times after doing laundry, I noticed that the pump
was still running long after the washer had stopped. I ran the water and
the pressure was good. The only way to make the pump stop is to flip the
breaker off and turn it back on. The pump doesn't come back on until the
next time there's a call for water. And then shuts off when the right
pressure is reached.
Is this a bad pressure switch? Where is all the water going while the thing
is pumping, there are no leaks and the pressure tank must be full. I'm
worried that I might flush the toilet, leave for work and the pump runs
nonstop for 10 hours until I get home, possibly overheating and causing a
fire.

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
max@__________.com

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:15:26 -0400, "Jeff Guay"
wrote:

[...]

I had this same thing happen. There should be a one way valve near
the pump (in the pipe going to the well). It's sticking....
Next time that happens, smack that valve with a hunk of 2x4 or other
wood (not a metal hammer). The pump should stop in a minute or less.
The water is going back to the well, that's where its' going.

Of course, you could also have a bad pressure switch. Remove it and
be sure the 1/4" pipe is not clogged with rust. Clean it out and
re-install and see ewhat happens, or just replace it since they are
not too costly. If that one way valve is sticking, replace it.

If the pump runs all day, it will likely burn out the motor or may
destroy the impeller, especially if its plastic. I doubt you would
get a fire, but a burned out pump is not good.

If you are really worried, replace both the pressure switch and the
one way valve.