Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Guay

Default Water pump keeps running...

Hi,
My house water is from a shallow well with the pump located in my basement.
It is a jet style pump with two lines running down into the well. Twice in
the last few days, both times after doing laundry, I noticed that the pump
was still running long after the washer had stopped. I ran the water and
the pressure was good. The only way to make the pump stop is to flip the
breaker off and turn it back on. The pump doesn't come back on until the
next time there's a call for water. And then shuts off when the right
pressure is reached.
Is this a bad pressure switch? Where is all the water going while the thing
is pumping, there are no leaks and the pressure tank must be full. I'm
worried that I might flush the toilet, leave for work and the pump runs
nonstop for 10 hours until I get home, possibly overheating and causing a
fire.

Thanks,
Jeff