Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

Default vacuum belt problem

My Hoover WindTunnel vacuum cleaner has a problem. The brush will not
roll on carpet but will roll on bare floor. You can smell the burning
rubber of the belt.

I replaced the original belt once and now the second belt is doing the
same thing. This is the way it is set up: The roller has a smaller
belt that attaches to an internal roller's groove. The internal roller
has a plastic wheel where a second larger belt turns it. This belt is
attached to motor's shaft.

The second belt is the problem child. It is getting worn down at the
motor shaft and stinking up the place. Now whether the belt is the
problem or the other roller, I don't know. Is there anything else I
can do before I'm forced to take it somewhere to get it fixed?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

badgolferman wrote:

My Hoover WindTunnel vacuum cleaner has a problem. The brush will not
roll on carpet but will roll on bare floor. You can smell the burning
rubber of the belt.

I replaced the original belt once and now the second belt is doing the
same thing. This is the way it is set up: The roller has a smaller
belt that attaches to an internal roller's groove. The internal roller
has a plastic wheel where a second larger belt turns it. This belt is
attached to motor's shaft.

The second belt is the problem child. It is getting worn down at the
motor shaft and stinking up the place. Now whether the belt is the
problem or the other roller, I don't know. Is there anything else I
can do before I'm forced to take it somewhere to get it fixed?

Hi,
Set the roller height for carpet?
If belt is not broken turn it inside out that way you can get
some more life out of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"badgolferman" wrote in message ...
My Hoover WindTunnel vacuum cleaner has a problem. The brush will not
roll on carpet but will roll on bare floor. You can smell the burning
rubber of the belt.

I replaced the original belt once and now the second belt is doing the
same thing. This is the way it is set up: The roller has a smaller
belt that attaches to an internal roller's groove. The internal roller
has a plastic wheel where a second larger belt turns it. This belt is
attached to motor's shaft.

The second belt is the problem child. It is getting worn down at the
motor shaft and stinking up the place. Now whether the belt is the
problem or the other roller, I don't know. Is there anything else I
can do before I'm forced to take it somewhere to get it fixed?

Does the roller turn freely if you remove the second belt? You might need to
clean out hair wrapped around the bearings where things turn and lubricate the
bearings.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"badgolferman" wrote in message
My Hoover WindTunnel vacuum cleaner has a problem. The brush will not
roll on carpet but will roll on bare floor. You can smell the burning
rubber of the belt.

I replaced the original belt once and now the second belt is doing the
same thing. This is the way it is set up: The roller has a smaller
belt that attaches to an internal roller's groove. The internal roller
has a plastic wheel where a second larger belt turns it. This belt is
attached to motor's shaft.

The second belt is the problem child. It is getting worn down at the
motor shaft and stinking up the place. Now whether the belt is the
problem or the other roller, I don't know. Is there anything else I
can do before I'm forced to take it somewhere to get it fixed?

Is there a twist in the belt (like when the shaft and roller are
perpendicular)If so, make sure the twist goes the right way or the rollers
will turn the wrong way