Posted to alt.home.repair
RB

Default nylon/plastic nut needed

I'm looking for a 1" x 14 fine thread nylon/plastic nut. I've found a
number that come close, but no exact matches. If anyone knows where I can
buy a couple of those, please let me know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

RB writes:

I'm looking for a 1" x 14 fine thread nylon/plastic nut. I've found a
number that come close, but no exact matches. If anyone knows where I
can buy a couple of those, please let me know.

(1) mscdirect.com
(2) mcmaster.com or
(3) friend with lathe
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 01:01:47 -0500, "RB"
wrote:

I'm looking for a 1" x 14 fine thread nylon/plastic nut. I've found a
number that come close, but no exact matches. If anyone knows where I can
buy a couple of those, please let me know.

When it is nylon, one rarely needs the exact size, although I'm sure
sometimes one does.

Also, what about speed nuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

wrote:

I'm looking for a 1" x 14 fine thread nylon/plastic nut. I've found a
number that come close, but no exact matches. If anyone knows where I can
buy a couple of those, please let me know.

When it is nylon, one rarely needs the exact size, although I'm sure
sometimes one does.

Heat up a bottle-cap to around 350 degrees F. in your toaster
oven, and squash it around the bolt in question with a thick
scrap of leather.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:01:45 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

According to RB :
I'm looking for a 1" x 14 fine thread nylon/plastic nut. I've found a
number that come close, but no exact matches. If anyone knows where I can
buy a couple of those, please let me know.

If all else fails, and you really do want to stick with the nylon, go
to a plastics supplier and buy a chunk of suitable diameter nylon
or delrin rod. Bore and thread it. Taps are relatively inexpensive even
at this size. Tighten with vice grips. Or (gently) sand/saw two flats
and use an ordinary wrench.

IIRC, 1 1/2" Delrin rod runs about $1/inch. Machines quite nicely.

Delrin is, I believe, just a somewhat harder form of nylon. Often used
in pump impellers, plumbing washers and such like.

Good advice. The one time I worked with nylon (don't know what kind)
it wasn't so easy to file. I was making 3 little barrels to work in
the planetary arrangement of the power window motor of a '76 Chrysler.
(much thinner rod, about a half inch, and cheaper than the one you
used) Of course I was heading for a particular dimension, not just a
flat spot, but sandpaper didn't do anything, and I ended up putting
the rod in a chuck** and using a surform to take material off. That
went fast.

BTW, there had originally been barrels in the motor covered in nylon
with something else in the middle, but they burst and collapsed over
time. I made new ones out of a dowel rod, but they split within the
first 5 timss of using the window. The solid nylon worked fine and
was a lot cheaper than the 69 dollar repair kit.

**attached to a grinder shaft, in place of the grinding wheel

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bennett Price

Home Depot (& perhaps others) has a set of drawers in the hardware dept.
that is filled with odd ball stuff, (metric sizes, plastic nuts/bolts,
etc.). Perhaps you can find what you seek there.

RB wrote:
I'm looking for a 1" x 14 fine thread nylon/plastic nut. I've found a
number that come close, but no exact matches. If anyone knows where I can
buy a couple of those, please let me know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

"RB" wrote in message
I'm looking for a 1" x 14 fine thread nylon/plastic nut.

Ace is the place

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to mm :
Lewis) wrote:

IIRC, 1 1/2" Delrin rod runs about $1/inch. Machines quite nicely.

Delrin is, I believe, just a somewhat harder form of nylon. Often used
in pump impellers, plumbing washers and such like.

Good advice. The one time I worked with nylon (don't know what kind)
it wasn't so easy to file. I was making 3 little barrels to work in
the planetary arrangement of the power window motor of a '76 Chrysler.
(much thinner rod, about a half inch, and cheaper than the one you
used) Of course I was heading for a particular dimension, not just a
flat spot, but sandpaper didn't do anything, and I ended up putting
the rod in a chuck** and using a surform to take material off. That
went fast.

My "machining" experience is with delrin, not nylon per-se. On a metal
lathe.

With appropriately angled sharp tooling, delrin is one of the things
that's a joy to turn. Like aluminum (in constrast to cast iron or
stainless, say, which are somewhat less forgiving). Nylon is the same chemistry
as Delrin, but being softer (I think), would be more apt to tear. But
I have seen people turn what they claimed was nylon without too much
difficulty either once they hit the sweet spot for bit angle and sharpen
it ;-)

The enemy here is heat. Sand paper or files would tend to gum up and
eventually overheat. Dull or improperly angled tooling will cause
overheating too. _Sharp_ edged tooling is the best way to go. A surform
is "edged". A hand plane might also work well and is much more controllable
than a chisel.

Another option is UHMW - some craft stores sell a one (or is it three? I
misremember) pound box of thick (mostly 3/4") scraps for $7-$15. Lee Valley
has it for example. Useful for all sorts of things. It probably wouldn't
be as strong as Delrin in this application, but it might be more than
adequate. Saw off a chunk that'll fit a wrench, drill and tap it.

Machines almost as well as Delrin (including on table saws). I've made
all sorts of replacement parts out of it - small pulleys et.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est