Posted to alt.home.repair
scale

Default flooring for garage....school hallways...

I am trying to find the best solution to cover my garage floor. I have
thought of everything. Today i was thinking about about the garage
flooring they use in grade schools. THey were super durable and huge
tiles or sections with that infamous silver line that we all had to
follow.

Any one tried this stuff or know where to get it. IM not even sure what
it is made out of but it is some tough stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

"scale" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to find the best solution to cover my garage floor. I have
thought of everything. Today i was thinking about about the garage
flooring they use in grade schools. THey were super durable and huge
tiles or sections with that infamous silver line that we all had to
follow.

Any one tried this stuff or know where to get it. IM not even sure what
it is made out of but it is some tough stuff.

It could be that you are thinking about Terrazzo flooring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrazzo

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Probably asbestos. I doubt you can get it any longer. Read some of
these:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...paint& qt_g=1

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

No wrote:
"scale" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am trying to find the best solution to cover my garage floor. I have
thought of everything. Today i was thinking about about the garage
flooring they use in grade schools. THey were super durable and huge
tiles or sections with that infamous silver line that we all had to
follow.

Any one tried this stuff or know where to get it. IM not even sure what
it is made out of but it is some tough stuff.

It could be that you are thinking about Terrazzo flooring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrazzo

Yes, this is the stuff of 50s and 60s school house memories.

Wiki says very very tough material, extremely resistant to water.

However, in garages, we have oil, grease, fuel, and acid drips from our
vehicles. To keep this surface looking GREAT, we will need to wash it
down nearly every day when the vehicles leave the garage.

It is NOT cheap to install as it is a LABOR intensive process.

There was a scene in Transporter where the floor of the garage was
covered in a waffle textured dark green grid that appeared to be 2 to 3
inches deep. It would stay cleaner than most other floor treatements
and if the material selected was not reactive to automotive fluids, it
would stay neat for a LONG time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

No wrote:
"scale" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am trying to find the best solution to cover my garage floor. I have
thought of everything. Today i was thinking about about the garage
flooring they use in grade schools. THey were super durable and huge
tiles or sections with that infamous silver line that we all had to
follow.

Any one tried this stuff or know where to get it. IM not even sure what
it is made out of but it is some tough stuff.

It could be that you are thinking about Terrazzo flooring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrazzo

Reading at www.nmta.com, Yes Terrazzo using epoxy or acrylic resins to
embed marble or other aggregate stones is oil, water, and acid spill
resistant. Recommended for hospitals, laboratories, and manufacturing areas.

If you can afford it, looks like terrazzo is a GO

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

scale wrote:
I am trying to find the best solution to cover my garage floor. I have
thought of everything. Today i was thinking about about the garage
flooring they use in grade schools. THey were super durable and huge
tiles or sections with that infamous silver line that we all had to
follow.

Any one tried this stuff or know where to get it. IM not even sure
what it is made out of but it is some tough stuff.

I suspect you are talking about terrazzo. Nice stuff, not expensive for
large areas, but it is not oil resistant (It will become stained) and it
tends to become very slippery when oil covered.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Joseph Meehan wrote:
scale wrote:

I am trying to find the best solution to cover my garage floor. I have
thought of everything. Today i was thinking about about the garage
flooring they use in grade schools. THey were super durable and huge
tiles or sections with that infamous silver line that we all had to
follow.

Any one tried this stuff or know where to get it. IM not even sure
what it is made out of but it is some tough stuff.

I suspect you are talking about terrazzo. Nice stuff, not expensive for
large areas, but it is not oil resistant (It will become stained) and it
tends to become very slippery when oil covered.

Slippery with oil, slippery with water. slippery with any liquid on it
as it is a HIGHLY polished surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:31:23 GMT, Robert Gammon
wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:
scale wrote:

I am trying to find the best solution to cover my garage floor. I have
thought of everything. Today i was thinking about about the garage
flooring they use in grade schools. THey were super durable and huge
tiles or sections with that infamous silver line that we all had to
follow.

Any one tried this stuff or know where to get it. IM not even sure
what it is made out of but it is some tough stuff.

I suspect you are talking about terrazzo. Nice stuff, not expensive for
large areas, but it is not oil resistant (It will become stained) and it
tends to become very slippery when oil covered.

Slippery with oil, slippery with water. slippery with any liquid on it
as it is a HIGHLY polished surface.

Poured epoxy, with quartz-sand or other additives for color and
texture. Something like this:

http://www.highperformanceformulas.com/quartz-dek.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Robert Gammon wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

I suspect you are talking about terrazzo. Nice stuff, not
expensive for large areas, but it is not oil resistant (It will
become stained) and it tends to become very slippery when oil
covered.

Slippery with oil, slippery with water. slippery with any liquid on it
as it is a HIGHLY polished surface.

Right. However I have found that it is slippery with water or oil, but
when you put water over the oil it is impossible.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit