Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flickering Lights

Hello, From time to time, the lights on two of my electric circuits
flicker at the same time and to the same degree of intensity; other
lights on other circuits are not affected. When this happens, the load
within the house does not change (no AC units coming on, etc.) and the
bulbs are all tight. I have not checked to see the breakers to these
circuits are wired tightly but they appear to be set into the buss bars
correctly because they sit within the panel cover the way they should.
So, some type of voltage drop appears to be occurring on these
circuits. Can bad (old) breakers cause this type of fluctuation?
Other ideas? Thanks! D. MacQueen

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Flickering is generally caused by loose connections, which can occur
anywhere along the circuit from the breaker to the end of the chain. You
need to check the neutral wiring as well as the hot

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, From time to time, the lights on two of my electric circuits
flicker at the same time and to the same degree of intensity; other
lights on other circuits are not affected. When this happens, the load
within the house does not change (no AC units coming on, etc.) and the
bulbs are all tight. I have not checked to see the breakers to these
circuits are wired tightly but they appear to be set into the buss bars
correctly because they sit within the panel cover the way they should.
So, some type of voltage drop appears to be occurring on these
circuits. Can bad (old) breakers cause this type of fluctuation?
Other ideas? Thanks! D. MacQueen

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

How about whan a truck rolls by or you walk heavily around the house or wind
blows strongly.

Might these two circuits share the same 12-3 Romex cable? In that case they
would share the same neutral wire and that is what may be loose.

Alternatively, they may both go to a double (two- half sized) breaker in
which case they are on the same breaker (body not switch) and would share
the same contact to the bus bar. If you have an open slot, move the breaker
to this position. Arcing between the bus bar and breaker contact will erode
the metal and result in an intermittant contact. You need to replace and
move the breaker if that is the case. Listen for a buzzing in the box while
the light flicker and that would support this theory.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, From time to time, the lights on two of my electric circuits
flicker at the same time and to the same degree of intensity; other
lights on other circuits are not affected. When this happens, the load
within the house does not change (no AC units coming on, etc.) and the
bulbs are all tight. I have not checked to see the breakers to these
circuits are wired tightly but they appear to be set into the buss bars
correctly because they sit within the panel cover the way they should.
So, some type of voltage drop appears to be occurring on these
circuits. Can bad (old) breakers cause this type of fluctuation?
Other ideas? Thanks! D. MacQueen

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, From time to time, the lights on two of my electric circuits
flicker at the same time and to the same degree of intensity; other
lights on other circuits are not affected. When this happens, the load
within the house does not change (no AC units coming on, etc.) and the
bulbs are all tight. I have not checked to see the breakers to these
circuits are wired tightly but they appear to be set into the buss bars
correctly because they sit within the panel cover the way they should.
So, some type of voltage drop appears to be occurring on these
circuits. Can bad (old) breakers cause this type of fluctuation?
Other ideas? Thanks! D. MacQueen

In addition to what others have said, it is possible that bad circuit
breakers are the cause although not always likely except with certain
brands. In my area of New Jersey there are several condo developments built
by one particular builder that are notorious for defective circuit breakers.
I think that they were originally made by ITE which is no longer around.
They are identified as the thin type and the bus connection is a hook on the
left or right side of the breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry for the individual posts saying "Thanks", I am new at this, but I
do appreciate everyone's help! Thanks again to all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry for the individual posts saying "Thanks", I am new at this, but I
do appreciate everyone's help! Thanks again to all.

If you really want to show your appreciation, tell us what the end result
was. Where did you find the problem and how did you correct it? It is rare
that we find out what happened after we give out all that helpful advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

If you have the electric skill, tighten all the neutrals and grounds
in your circuit panel. Sometimes that makes some really strange
effects. If you don't know what I'm talking about, print this off and
show it to your electrician.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry for the individual posts saying "Thanks", I am new at this,

but I
do appreciate everyone's help! Thanks again to all.

If you really want to show your appreciation, tell us what the end
result
was. Where did you find the problem and how did you correct it? It
is rare
that we find out what happened after we give out all that helpful
advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry for the individual posts saying "Thanks", I am new at this,

but I
do appreciate everyone's help! Thanks again to all.

If you really want to show your appreciation, tell us what the end
result
was. Where did you find the problem and how did you correct it? It
is rare
that we find out what happened after we give out all that helpful
advice.

Ok, Here it is. The problem was the ITE breaker arching at the breaker
attachment point on the buss bar. The more it arched, the looser it
got. The electrician "pinched" over the attachment point so it was
solid for now, while he said he'd look for a new breaker. I told my
freind to spend the $ to replace the service panel before he burned his
house down. Thanks again.