Default Lights flickering

OK -- maybe this sounds dumb...I don't know. We just finished a
basement renovation job involving some electrical work. We installed 3
halogen pot lights and 3 2-tube fluorescent lights all off of one
switch. When we connected everything and powered it up the fluorescent
lights flickered...pretty bad. It was hard on the eyes to be in the
room. The little instruction paper included in the box indicated that
the tubes may need to be "seasoned"...and suggested leaving the lights
on for 24-48 hours. Other suggestions regarding temperature, etc.,
weren't applicable in this situation.

My question is:

Was wiring up 3 halogen and 3 fluorescent lights on the same circuit
wrong? Logically it doesn't seem so but I started thinking that maybe
something is not compatible. Or is the entire problem directly related
to the new bulbs/fixture/ballasts, etc.?

Please shed "light" on this if possible.

Thanks!

Stretch

Make sure the flourescent bulbs are wired correctly. The white wire on
8' bulbs has to be on the same tube as either the red or blue wire from
the ballast, I forget which. The ballast will show a diagram with the
correct polarity on it. Also make sure the flourescent fixture case is
well grounded. Failure to do so will cause the bulbs to flicker or not
come on to full brightness. One other thing, if it is cold in the
basement, you may have a problem. Most ballasts have a minimum
operating temperature.

Hope this helps.

Stretch

RBM

Make sure they're not on a dimmer. Other than that, magnetically ballasted
fluorescent fixtures, those that use T-12 lamps, often swirl or pulse when
they are new or cold

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

TKM

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

To answer your question -- no, there should not be a problem of interference
when both halogen incandescent and fluorescent fixtures are connected to the
same circuit.

TKM

gfci + fluorescent lights kevin Home Repair 4 May 12th 05 03:23 PM
Flickering lights barry martin Home Repair 1 December 16th 04 02:15 AM
Flickering lights MPost Home Repair 5 December 15th 04 03:00 AM
Flickering lights Peter Smithson UK diy 1 November 28th 04 08:49 PM
Bathroom lights - what's allowed/required? [email protected] UK diy 16 October 15th 03 11:26 PM