Posted to alt.home.repair
BCDrums

Default Attaching undermount sink to Silestone

I got a new sink, and will be getting a Silestone vanity top. The sink
(an undermount) comes with a mounting kit for drilling and mounting in a
1" minimum thickness top. The Silestone top is 3/4" thick.

I am reluctant to sink an anchor 5/8" into a 3/4" top. Anyone know
another way to undermount the sink?

BC
Posted to alt.home.repair
BCDrums

3rd eye wrote:

I am reluctant to sink an anchor 5/8" into a 3/4" top. Anyone know
another way to undermount the sink?

BC

I'd always been under the imperssion the folks that installed your
countertops would do that for you.

Not in this case. I have ordered the countertop online for half the
price quoted by local installers. So, I am the installer.

This is a standard-size top for a standard-size vanity cabinet, standing
against an open wall in a bathroom- no precision fit, not side splashes.
The local fabricator insisted on sending someone to measure it, and then
to install the top onto the cabinet, which is not a difficult task.

Since I posted, I found a kit supplied by the countertop vendor.
Basically, you epoxy some anchor plates with bolts to the underside of
the Silestone, and then screw clips and wingnuts onto them. They tell me
they use an epoxy formulated for bonding metal and stone.

We'll see!

BC
Posted to alt.home.repair

BCDrums wrote:
3rd eye wrote:

[...]

We had an undermount SS sink installed with our Silestone countertop.
The sink itself was sandwiched between the 3/4" ply substrate and the
actual countertop itself....

]]]]]]]]]]]]] - Countertop
------------- - Sink
[[[[[[[[[[[[[ - Ply underlayment

Rick

Posted to alt.home.repair
GoHabsGo

BCDrums wrote in

When we had our granite top installed, they glued it with epoxy. I
would guess the same epoxy would be used for silestone.

I am glad to hear that it worked (it DID work, didn't it?) Do you know
how many clips they used to secure the sink?

No clips were used. Epoxy on the sink and a whole whack of epoxy on small
pieces of plywood overlapping the edges of the sink where it would fit
within the confines of the cabinet. It is still holding after three
months.