Posted to alt.home.repair
mo

Default bathroom wallpaper

I want to put up wallpaper in my bathroom.
Any special primer needed to prep walls?
They are plaster with some paint still on them.
What about the high humidity any advice about
hanging wallpaper in such an environment?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

mo wrote:
I want to put up wallpaper in my bathroom.
Any special primer needed to prep walls?
They are plaster with some paint still on them.
What about the high humidity any advice about
hanging wallpaper in such an environment?
Thanks.

Make sure the walls are absolutely clean and dry - good household
cleaner, rinse, let dry. I would avoid using the room for a couple of
days, if possible, so walls and ceiling arent moist from condensation.
I had paint behaving strangely while painting ceiling until I figured
out it was steamy from shower.

Painted wall doesn't need primer, unless your wallpaper instructions
call for it. If the paint doesn cover, then any good brand primer
should be fine. I don't buy paint at box stores, and the cost of good
paint is worth it. Seams can be a problem if there is a lot of
condensation from showers, or damp towels hanging up against. I have
two papered baths, one guest and one master. In master, I put a very
fine line of caulk along edge of paper that borders the tiled shower
stall. Also the same along bottom edge of paper, so condensation
doesn't run down and loosen edges. Installed a timer switch on the
exhaust fan so's it runs about half hour during and after each shower
and shuts itself off.

All papers I've used call for size, which helps adhesion. Vinyl coated
paper probably much better for baths. I wouldn't want paper right
around sink because it gets splashed too much.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

It won't last as long as it would in a dry room but it should last until you
tire of looking at it.

Use Vinyl paper and use the fan.

I've also noticed some papers fade faster in bathrooms. Not sure why, steam
maybe or bleach fumes???.

a PVA primer wouldn't hurt especially if the walls were glossy.