Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laminate floors in the kitchen?

Yes or no?
My main concern is that laminate is moisture-sensitive and in the
kitchen you're bound to spill things or just splash water on the floor.
Will this harm laminate floor? And what about moisture-resistant
laminates some brands offer?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Yes or no?
My main concern is that laminate is moisture-sensitive and in the
kitchen you're bound to spill things or just splash water on the floor.
Will this harm laminate floor? And what about moisture-resistant
laminates some brands offer?

Thanks.

I have it in my kitchen as a temp fix till I could get to the ceramic.
At that time there was no moisture resistant available. It's down 7
years as I still have not gotten around to putting down the tile. It's
as good as the day it went down - cept for 1 area where the cats water
dish is.

I put down the moisture resistent tile in the spare washroom. It's down
4 years and has held up really well - caulk the edges well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, what happened in the area where cat's water dish is? It's exactly
the kind of thing that worries me (I've no cats, but 2 toddlers).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"twfsa" wrote in message
Laminate floors are a bitch to keep clean!

Tom

I like our Wilson Art laminate because it is so easy to clean You are
either doing something wrong or have cheap laminate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes or no?
My main concern is that laminate is moisture-sensitive and in the
kitchen you're bound to spill things or just splash water on the floor.
Will this harm laminate floor? And what about moisture-resistant
laminates some brands offer?

Thanks.

The laminates are made from a more durable version of the counter tops in
most kitchens so water is not a problem. Go with a good brand, not the cheap
crap from the dollar store. www.mannington.com or www.wilsonart.com for
starters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Brandt

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes or no?
My main concern is that laminate is moisture-sensitive and in the
kitchen you're bound to spill things or just splash water on the
floor. Will this harm laminate floor? And what about
moisture-resistant laminates some brands offer?

Thanks.

The laminates are made from a more durable version of the counter
tops in most kitchens so water is not a problem. Go with a good
brand, not the cheap crap from the dollar store. www.mannington.com
or www.wilsonart.com for starters.

I put laminate (the kind that looks like tile) in my parent's kitchen for them.
One month later the supply line to the ice maker leaked and a good portion of
the floor is ruined. All of the edges are turned up.

I myself put 600 square feet of Wilsonart Red Label in my family room and now
have a 2 by 3 area where the edges are turning up which never had standing water
on it as far as I know (right in the middle of the room).

I *was* a believer because I have dogs, but I could not now in good concience
recommend laminate to anyone except perhaps in a bedroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Pergo in a kitchen shows all dirt since the finish is so smooth and
uniform. A more natural looking product would not be so hard to upkeep.