Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Understanding Roofers' quotations (in UK)

Apologies if this posting is inappropriate, but I would really
appreciate any advice, as this job is well beyond a limited DIY-er like

me. I am resident in the United Kingdom and I have had two quotations
to repair a flat garage roof, which has just started to leak. They are
wildly different in price and, while
there may well be other factors, I wonder whether the difference lies
in the specifications which I will quote below. Both propose stripping

away existing felt etc and then EITHER (quoted exactly in each case)

FIRST FIRM 1. Lay three separate layer soft 747 BS ruberoid flat
roofing felt, each sealed with hot bitumen so to bond together 2.
Finish all edgings with 36 KG green mineral felt 3. Cover whole of the

roof area with solar reflecting alloy paint

SECOND FIRM
1. Fixing new built up felt roof covering comprising base layer of
type 3B felt fixed to existing decking and a cap layer of MP400
torch-on high performance mineral surfaced felt including for MP400
mineral surfaced felt to all perimeter details.

We're on a VERY tight budget and won't necessarily be in the property
for ever (but certainly for the next 5 years or so and, anyway, we'd
like to be able to sell it in a good condition), so want to pay as
little as possible, consistent with getting a reliable job done.
We would be so very grateful for any advice.
(PS: I haven't indicated which of the quotes is higher/lower and
wonder whether the specs make it obvious?)
Thanks so much in advance
for any advice or comments
Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jordan

I am resident in the United Kingdom and I have had two quotations
to repair a flat garage roof, which has just started to leak.
Paul

You may be aware there's some DIY info for Brits at:
www.diy.com
Tells how to do roof repairs, so maybe help you make a decision.