Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave N

Default Fluorescent light problem

Hi,

I have two 48" fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen, each with four bulbs.
They're old fixtures (maybe 25 years old), and I replaced the ballasts
in both fixtures a couple years ago.

Recently, one of the fixtures stopped working completely. Actually, not
quite completely: one of the four bulbs flickers dimly. I replaced all
four bulbs and there was no change. The new bulb in the same slot still
flickers dimly, and the other three new bulbs are effectively dead.

What could be happening? Bad ballast? Grounding problem? Any guesses,
based on the symptoms?
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

With each pair of bulbs working in series you've got a lot of socket
connections that can be loose, as well as a possible bad ballast. I'd
suggest replacing the ballasts and lamps with electronic ones, if not the
entire fixture. The electronic ones will wire completely differently, work
reliably and be brighter

"Dave N" wrote in message
.136...
Hi,

I have two 48" fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen, each with four bulbs.
They're old fixtures (maybe 25 years old), and I replaced the ballasts
in both fixtures a couple years ago.

Recently, one of the fixtures stopped working completely. Actually, not
quite completely: one of the four bulbs flickers dimly. I replaced all
four bulbs and there was no change. The new bulb in the same slot still
flickers dimly, and the other three new bulbs are effectively dead.

What could be happening? Bad ballast? Grounding problem? Any guesses,
based on the symptoms?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gerry Gardiner

I agre with RBM, the new ones are so much better than anything over
15 years old. I wouldn't spend the time or money on this.
Gerry

"Dave N" wrote in message
.136...
Hi,

I have two 48" fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen, each with four bulbs.
They're old fixtures (maybe 25 years old), and I replaced the ballasts
in both fixtures a couple years ago.

Recently, one of the fixtures stopped working completely. Actually, not
quite completely: one of the four bulbs flickers dimly. I replaced all
four bulbs and there was no change. The new bulb in the same slot still
flickers dimly, and the other three new bulbs are effectively dead.

What could be happening? Bad ballast? Grounding problem? Any guesses,
based on the symptoms?

Posted to alt.home.repair
stevie

rbm,
a question for you.
my fluorescent fixture, about 10 yrs old, works intermittently and seems to
be worse when humidity is high. would you suggest replacing the fixture?

what are the 'electronic' fixtures? are they available at lowes, HD?

thanks

"Dave N" wrote in message
.136...
Hi,

I have two 48" fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen, each with four bulbs.
They're old fixtures (maybe 25 years old), and I replaced the ballasts
in both fixtures a couple years ago.

Recently, one of the fixtures stopped working completely. Actually, not
quite completely: one of the four bulbs flickers dimly. I replaced all
four bulbs and there was no change. The new bulb in the same slot still
flickers dimly, and the other three new bulbs are effectively dead.

What could be happening? Bad ballast? Grounding problem? Any guesses,
based on the symptoms?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

To make your garden variety magnetic ballasted fluorescent fixture work ,
requires a pile of connections, good lamps, good ballast, and to often good
atmospheric conditions. The current crop of electronic ballasts are really
reliable, don't blink, and the lamps give more light. I don't know if Depot
and Lowes sells decent fluorescent fixtures, I have seen some with a really
cheap integral ballast. Any lighting store or electrical supply will have
them

"Dave N" wrote in message
.136...
Hi,

I have two 48" fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen, each with four bulbs.
They're old fixtures (maybe 25 years old), and I replaced the ballasts
in both fixtures a couple years ago.

Recently, one of the fixtures stopped working completely. Actually, not
quite completely: one of the four bulbs flickers dimly. I replaced all
four bulbs and there was no change. The new bulb in the same slot still
flickers dimly, and the other three new bulbs are effectively dead.

What could be happening? Bad ballast? Grounding problem? Any guesses,
based on the symptoms?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Before you do anything drastic, try working all the bulbs back and forth in
the fixture to clean the contacts. I struggled with a bad fixture for
months until I decided to do that and the fix has lasted a year so far.

"Dave N" wrote in message
.136...
Hi,

I have two 48" fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen, each with four bulbs.
They're old fixtures (maybe 25 years old), and I replaced the ballasts
in both fixtures a couple years ago.

Recently, one of the fixtures stopped working completely. Actually, not
quite completely: one of the four bulbs flickers dimly. I replaced all
four bulbs and there was no change. The new bulb in the same slot still
flickers dimly, and the other three new bulbs are effectively dead.

What could be happening? Bad ballast? Grounding problem? Any guesses,
based on the symptoms?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

"Dave N" wrote in message
.136...
Hi,

I have two 48" fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen, each with four bulbs.
They're old fixtures (maybe 25 years old), and I replaced the ballasts
in both fixtures a couple years ago.

Recently, one of the fixtures stopped working completely. Actually, not
quite completely: one of the four bulbs flickers dimly. I replaced all
four bulbs and there was no change. The new bulb in the same slot still
flickers dimly, and the other three new bulbs are effectively dead.

What could be happening? Bad ballast? Grounding problem? Any guesses,
based on the symptoms?

.................................................. ..................................

Suggestion:
Before anything really drastic, try swapping tubes around. Usually one
ballast supplies two 48" tubes. So if the tubes work in on 'set' of
positions and not when moved over to another 'set' of positions it may be a
bad/dirty contact or a bad ballast.

I have an almost three lifetimes supply of used ballasts (and also used
fixtures fairly easy to fix up at least for workshop/garage use), obtained
free of course, and replace, maybe one ballast every two/three years in
some six fixtures; the most used of which is in our kitchen! Also some 60
used fluorescent tubes; at least 50%+ of them turn out to be 'good' .

A question if I may:
I have one, appears new but may have been faulty? electronic ballast among
the lot.
If I were to use an electronic ballast, reputed to be "much better" either
that one or by buying new ones would I have to buy 'different' type tubes;
or can I just use my stock of conventional 40 or 34 watt ones?

Appreciate advice. TIA