Posted to alt.home.repair

Default buying new home ...need help

buying new home ...need help

My sister is thinking of buying a home in the Bay Area, California.

The developer is building 3 new houses. He is not a known builder.

What should one look for when buying such a new home ?

The builder does not have a web site ...the sale is being done thru a
real estate sales person.

The homes are pretty, have a good floor , good location etc.and that is
the attraction.

Can any one pls help ?

Is there a checklist ?

should she have a real estate agent represent her ?

Normally when one buys from a well known developer one does not need a
RE agent to represent oneself but in this case....the developer
appears to be a mom and pop type....so what to do ?

Thanks
Linda

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your question is not clear.
Are you asking about legal or about construction quality issues?
If I were buying a house long distance and the house were not built,
I'd use an attorney and an architect.
I work on residential building failures with a contractor who acts as
expert witness.
The number of problems that can be built into a house is incredible.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Most big developers work on volume giving their superindetants big bonuses
for coming in under budget. Most the work is peaced out ( why use two nails
if one will do) They make big money on inflated upgrade cost. So with a
small builder his reputation is important for his business, plus working
with him would be more personal. Also if the house is not started yet you
could watch the progress and do your own inspection or find someone to
inspect it. I was a carpenter in Marin for 16 years and if I leaned any
thing Most big developers put out crap. That was in the 70t's and 80t's and
it's got worse. There is allot of unskilled labor out there.

oups.com...