Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Default Who Is Responsible For My Neighbors Tree Hanging In My Yard?

My neighbor has an oak tree that hasn't been pruned in years and there
are 2 branches / limbs that are so low in my yard I can touch them.

Who's responsibility is it to have the tree pruned?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
My neighbor has an oak tree that hasn't been pruned in years and there
are 2 branches / limbs that are so low in my yard I can touch them.

Who's responsibility is it to have the tree pruned?

In general, you can trim the branchs back to the property line as long
as you don't destroy the tree in the process. Unless the tree is an
obvious danger due to rot, damage, etc, in most places in the US the
neighbor isn't legally obligated to trim it if its just branches
extending over the property line.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

wrote in message
On 31 Mar 2006 15:57:15 -0800, "Ron" wrote:

wrote:
Ron wrote:
My neighbor has an oak tree that hasn't been pruned in years and there
are 2 branches / limbs that are so low in my yard I can touch them.

Who's responsibility is it to have the tree pruned?

In general, you can trim the branchs back to the property line as long
as you don't destroy the tree in the process. Unless the tree is an
obvious danger due to rot, damage, etc, in most places in the US the
neighbor isn't legally obligated to trim it if its just branches
extending over the property line.

Well that sucks if I have to pay to have it pruned. Although I can
touch the branches the limbs are about 30 ft up. I'm probably looking
at about (guessing) $400 if not more.

approach your neighbor diplomatically, suggesting that if he pays to
have the tree trimmed, you'll accomodate the tree trimmers working in
your yard. If hes not agreeable, I'd cut the tree off right at the
property line and throw the branches over the fence into his yard.

You cannot legally throw the branches into his yard, but a little Roundup
goes a long way.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:
Ron wrote:
[...]

Your first half is good. No one else so far iiac suggested talking to
the neighbor first, and nicely.

Your second part is bad. If the neighbor honestly thinks it's not his
responsibility, you want to start a war that could last for decades if
they both live there that long.

First, I too think that only the parts of the tree that are above your
property that actually bother you should be trimmed. You don't want
to end up with a tree that looks beautiful on your neighbor's
property, but ugly when viewed from yours.

Maybe some of the limbs are too low for him too, so approach him
nicely about his hiring a trimmer. AIUI, and the People's Court
recently said this also, in some states the bill goes to the owner of
the tree. So first, before you talk to him, check on what the law is
in your state.
www.findlaw.com might have it, but it might be easier
to ask someone. Who, I don't know.

If he's too busy, lazy, etc. suggest to him that you'll find somoone
who will do it at a reasonable price, and you'll give him the bill.
Or if you want to do it yourself with the chainsaw on a pole, he might
pay for that (although he'll think that If he says, please get an
estimate and give me that first, do so. If he wants two, do that.
It's one more phone call, I think.

After it's trimmed, if he's ready to pay the bill immediately, give it
to him, but if he doesn't pay it or you don't think he will, you pay
it and ask him to reimburse you, if that is the law.

Don't go right up to his property line (except maybe with the branches
that are less than 6 feet high). It looks petty and it probably won't
look attractive either. Pretend it is your tree and have it trimmed
(only on your property) to be attractive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article .com,
"Ron" wrote:

Who's responsibility is it to have the tree pruned?

Yours.

My neighbor's tree was a wonderful ash providing great shade to our rear deck
in the afternoon. It was planted immediately inside his side of the property
line between the two houses that are perhaps 35-40-feet apart.

Years ago, during a severe storm, it split in two with his side remaining
upright but my side falling over the property line and (mildly) crunching my
deck.

It was at MY expense to have the tree removed from my side of the property
line.

Prior to the storm, my neighbor and I alternated trimming the tree away from
over my kitchen using high-reach, tree-trimming equipment from my company
truck. (I am a telco lineman.) We trimmed it perhaps 2-3-times a year during
the non-wintertime.

Talk to your neighbor about the situation. You have nothing to lose to simply
ASK your neighbor to help pay for any cost incurred having THEIR tree trimmed.

When I built an RV "port" next to the other side of my house, a large branch
from my other neighbor's tree hung over the addition. When asked for his
permission to trim his tree (at my expense) that neighbor VOLUNTEERED to pay
HALF the cost!

If you are not on a speaking relationship with the tree owner, you should fix
that. Good luck.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

"RobertM" wrote in message

You cannot legally throw the branches into his yard, but a

little Roundup
goes a long way.

Bob

You should see how nutz the neighbors will go from a few
well-tossed round-up icecubes. Especially on one of those lawns
that looks like a golf course.

Posted to alt.home.repair
larry

wrote:

Ron wrote:

My neighbor has an oak tree that hasn't been pruned in years and there
are 2 branches / limbs that are so low in my yard I can touch them.

Who's responsibility is it to have the tree pruned?

Been living with that for 30 years. Every other summer, I
cut back just short of the prop line limbs within 10 feet of
my roof. Ladder, bow saw, and pole trimmer cost $30 years
ago. Some owners of that house helped, others didn't care.
Last year, current owner looked puzzled but accepted that
the limbs could brush my roof in a windstorm. About a month
later, three large branches snapped in a storm and crashed
into their roof and nice landscaping. A few days later they
had a crew severely trim the tree. Here, if a diseased tree
could cause damage, I can send a registered letter putting
them on notice that they are liable for my damages from
their bad tree. The other neighbor collected for damage to
his wife's car from a rotten limb.

I did learn one lesson. When I moved in, I helped the
original owner remove 4 trees from her backyard. Fixed slow
sewer line problems at three homes. Many times she talked
about getting rid of the tree in the front yard. I won't
miss that opportunity again. ;-)

My early neighbors were nice, we always helped each other
out. Those days are gone.

-larry / dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:34:19 -0500, mm
wrote:

If he's too busy, lazy, etc. suggest to him that you'll find somoone
who will do it at a reasonable price, and you'll give him the bill.
Or if you want to do it yourself with the chainsaw on a pole, he might
pay for that (although he'll think that

you need the chainsaw for your own trees, so why does he have to pay
for it?

If he says, please get an
estimate and give me that first, do so. If he wants two, do that.
It's one more phone call, I think.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck Reti

In article ,
Jim Redelfs wrote:

In article .com,
"Ron" wrote:

[...]

I had nearly the same situation three years ago. Neighbor's huge
backyard ash split in a storm and pretty severely crunched my back
sunroom, broke many windows, destroyed a newly installed flat roof,
gutters and most of the shingles on the house roof. It was not a happy
July 4th.
The year before, we had maples in our yard pruned, and also a number of
large limbs from that ash that went over our property line. Before doing
this I had spoken with the neighbor to let him know I was doing this,
and also suggested he could get a deal from the tree service if, while
they were here, to just take the ash down, something he had mentioned
wanting to do, being worried about the tree. He chose to not do it; the
next summer the tree fell on my house. As mentioned earlier, once it's
in my yard, it's my tree, and my insurance had to take care of removal,
damage etc. What remained of the tree in his yard was quite unstable and
a danger, as it could easily fall or crack, taking down nearby power
lines, my garage, etc., but neighbor had no plans to have it removed.
Attitude was, "Well, I didn't PLANT the tree, and I don't care if it
falls on your garage or on you." After citing ordinances about dangerous
trees, hazards, nuisances and a willingness to pursue other action, he
finally did get it taken down some four months later. We haven't spoken
much since.
--
Chuck Reti
Detroit MI
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

clipped
Attitude was, "Well, I didn't PLANT the tree, and I don't care if it
falls on your garage or on you." After citing ordinances about dangerous
trees, hazards, nuisances and a willingness to pursue other action, he
finally did get it taken down some four months later. We haven't spoken
much since.

Thirty years ago I lived in a rental dump that had a huge oak in the
yard. "Y" shaped trunk that had been partially split and cabled
together before I lived there. When it got windy, we could hear the two
halves grind together. Still there last time I looked ) If it comes
down on the house, there will be no more house.

I've moved away from some great neighbors - I had one whom I had never
met who strolled over to see what the strange man in my yard was doing -
it was just the repair guy for the sprinkler system. Neighbor was just
looking out for me. I have met some of the most miserable neighbors in
the world, and some of the most delightful strangers ) I can't pull
off the road without the next car stopping to see if I need help. Mebbe
they just feel sorry for people who drive '84 Buicks )

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article ,
Chuck Reti wrote:

After citing ordinances about dangerous trees, hazards,
nuisances and a willingness to pursue other action, he
finally did get it taken down some four months later.
We haven't spoken much since.

It's too bad THEY made it difficult. It was, after all, their tree - at least
when it was upright. Fences make for good neighbors. Good luck.

sigh
JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article . net,
Norminn wrote:

If it comes down on the house, there will be no more house.

I watched a crew and a crane take down a huge tree between two, old houses.
It was an all-day, $6k job.

I can't pull off the road without the next car
stopping to see if I need help.

Yeah, we are such a BAAAAAAD people. sigh

My wife, with no phone, lost control of her little Corolla and got it stuck in
the plowed ridge of snow at the right side of the shoulder. Three people
stopped and offered their phone.

Mebbe they just feel sorry for people who drive '84 Buicks )

Ha! Honestly, they probably feel sorry for ANYONE, as do I, that must stop on
the side of a busy highway. We have all, by now, seen those incredible police
videos of high-speed side-swipes.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article ,
"Kathy" wrote:

You should see how nutz the neighbors will go from a few
well-tossed round-up icecubes. Especially on one of those lawns
that looks like a golf course.

Ahhh... The shameless vandal speaks. Obviously, you must drive by regularly
to revel in witnessing the damage you caused. This no doubt provides days of
personal satisfaction. NOT!

You would probably squirt a packet of ketchup on a
traveling masterpiece at an art museum.

....soooooo not cool. Get a life.

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

wrote:

Ron wrote:

[...]

Where I live, that would probably bring the police to the door. I can
trim branches over my property but I can't mutilate or destroy the tree.
Can't cut down a tree without a permit. And probably can't throw trash
in my neighbor's yard.

I agree with you. Most places allow you to trim limbs coming from a
neighbors tree that are interfering with your property. That does NOT
however mean you have a right to trim the tree even with the property
line. Besides, like someone else said, who would want to except to
start an argument?? A healthy tree growing on your neighbors property
can be as much an asset to your home as one growing on your property.

A person who would trim a tree even with the lot line would probably
object to the shade a neighbor's item cast upon his property. This
could be only the beginning of a feud!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article ,
"Kathy" wrote:

You should see how nutz the neighbors will go from a few
well-tossed round-up icecubes. Especially on one of those

lawns
that looks like a golf course.

Ahhh... The shameless vandal speaks. Obviously, you must

drive by regularly
to revel in witnessing the damage you caused. This no doubt

provides days of
personal satisfaction. NOT!

You would probably squirt a packet of ketchup on a
traveling masterpiece at an art museum.

...soooooo not cool. Get a life.

I have a life and it was a nice peaceful life before the city
folks came and started clearing trees and pouring concrete. Then
they came out here every weekend for 20 months at 7am to play
with power tools.
Then the dug a hole infront of my house so they could connect to
city water. Never reseeded because "thats the right of way, not
my responsibility". Next was a delivery truck running over my
mailbox. Twice. Again not thier problem. The last straw was the
huge cement driveway. Now most weekend mornings he's out there
mowing and weed-wacking. Has really upset my little nirvana here
in the woods.
So ye, I get a kick out of watching him dig up the brown spots in
the spring and putting new topsoil down. LOL and shoveling his
driveway in winter. No need to drive by. Just look out an
upstairs window.
HAND

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

wrote:

If he's too busy, lazy, etc. suggest to him that you'll find somoone
who will do it at a reasonable price, and you'll give him the bill.
Or if you want to do it yourself with the chainsaw on a pole, he might
pay for that (although he'll think that

you need the chainsaw for your own trees, so why does he have to pay
for it?

I have one small oak tree in my yard that I keep trimmed with my
regular chainsaw. I don't need a saw on a pole to trim my tree.

The neighbors oak tree is HUGE and I would have to buy one those saws
on a pole to cut back the branches that are hanging in my yard. The
poster is suggesting that the neighbor "might" buy one for me if I do
the work, instead of paying a service that would charge 100's to prune
the tree correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Ron wrote:
My neighbor has an oak tree that hasn't been pruned in years and there
are 2 branches / limbs that are so low in my yard I can touch them.

Who's responsibility is it to have the tree pruned?

Everybody seems to be solving the wrong problem.

The best solution is to move.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Mys Terry wrote:

On 1 Apr 2006 09:02:03 -0800, "Ron" wrote:

The part that needs to be cut is about 30 up. The limb(s) are so long
that they can't support their own weight and they (2 of them) are now
hanging over my lawn and I can touch them.

Stop whining and just cut what you can reach from a stepladder for cry-eye. Then
it won't be within your reach, or in your way.

Sheesh!

Jeesh, the whole deal wasn't worth writing about in the first place. A
pruning saw on a pole will take branches off pretty quick, at least to
the point that they won't poke anyone walking beneath. If the funds are
available a professional arborist can prune the tree, shape it, take out
bad wood and make it look gorgeous. Also helps the lawn. That could be
a joint effort and make for a positive neighborly relationship - well
worth having.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had one like this. Stumbled onto a friends neighbor with bucket truck
75 bucks cash made the offending limb disappear

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Mys Terry wrote:
On 1 Apr 2006 09:02:03 -0800, "Ron" wrote:

The part that needs to be cut is about 30 up. The limb(s) are so long
that they can't support their own weight and they (2 of them) are now
hanging over my lawn and I can touch them.

Stop whining and just cut what you can reach from a stepladder for cry-eye. Then
it won't be within your reach, or in your way.

Sheesh!

Look smart-ass, that won't solve the problem! The limbs are about 40'
long and are growing DOWNWARD. The entire limb(s) ( I just counted 5 of
them), which are about 30' UP need to be cut off.

The tree needs to be pruned correctly, PERIOD. I suppose your "home
improvements" are done half assed, huh?

BTW, standing on a ladder, with a chainsaw on a lawn, is about the
stupidest, unsafe thing I've ever heard of, idiot!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Mys Terry wrote:
Stop whining, asswipe. Everybody here is already quite tired of your incessant
wailing. You really are a helpless mess. If you need the tree "pruned correctly"
in the approved anal retentive manner that is so important to you, just shut
your stupid pie hole and hire somebody already. Leave us out of it.

Did someone MAKE you respond to my posts? Answer, NO!

Betcha gonna respond to this post too, right? Friggin' hilljack.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Mys Terry wrote:
On 1 Apr 2006 15:33:18 -0800, "Ron" wrote:

Mys Terry wrote:
Stop whining, asswipe. Everybody here is already quite tired of your incessant
wailing. You really are a helpless mess. If you need the tree "pruned correctly"
in the approved anal retentive manner that is so important to you, just shut
your stupid pie hole and hire somebody already. Leave us out of it.

Did someone MAKE you respond to my posts? Answer, NO!

Betcha gonna respond to this post too, right? Friggin' hilljack.

Go away. Everyone will thank you, crybaby. We don't care about your fussy little
hissy fit problems. Tell it to Oprah.

I knew you couldn't help yourself, hilljack......LMAO!

If you have pinned up frustrations, why don't you take it out on your
gay lover, "Mys Terry".

It's 10:47 EST on a Sat night, shouldn't you be working, drag-queen?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Mys Terry wrote:

Go away. Everyone will thank you, crybaby. We don't care about your fussy little
hissy fit problems. Tell it to Oprah.

BTW, hilljack, drag-queen, YOU are the only bitching. LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy

On 04/01/06 05:14 am Norminn wrote:

approach your neighbor diplomatically, suggesting that if he pays to
have the tree trimmed, you'll accomodate the tree trimmers working in
your yard. If hes not agreeable, I'd cut the tree off right at the
property line and throw the branches over the fence into his yard.

Where I live, that would probably bring the police to the door. I can
trim branches over my property but I can't mutilate or destroy the tree.
Can't cut down a tree without a permit. And probably can't throw trash
in my neighbor's yard.

*If* the provisions of English Law have been inherited in the locality
in question, the OP has the *right* to cut the offending limbs back to
the property line (because they are intruding into his property) and the
*duty* to return the cut-off branches to the neighbor, whose property
they are.

Nevertheless, asking nicely and perhaps coming to an amicable
cost-sharing arrangement probably would be far preferable.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

No way would *I* have the limbs cut off at the property line because,
the tree is only 8 ft from the line and the limbs are about 40' long.

That is why I asked the question in the first place. It's not like the
tree is in the middle of their yard and some limbs are "hanging" in my
yard that need to be "trimmed". The tree might as well be in my yard
it's so close and it hasn't been pruned in yrs. So simply trimming off
the ends is a temporary fix.

The tree needs to be pruned. And I don't have the $400+ to have it
done. Especially when it's not my tree.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Then quit worrying about it. Either prune what you want on your side of the
line or quit whining. Your neighbor doesn't owe you anything here.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Oscar_Lives wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Fine, send me a money order for $500, deal?

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

I am just a bit curious.
What kind of tree is it?
About how big is the diameter of tree at the ground?
What evidence or fact sheet do you have indicating that the tree
should be trimmed?
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...

Oscar_Lives wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 2 Apr 2006 15:14:11 -0700, "Ron" wrote:

The tree needs to be pruned. And I don't have the $400+ to have it
done. Especially when it's not my tree.

Then quit worrying about it. Either prune what you want on your side of the
line or quit whining. Your neighbor doesn't owe you anything here.

Fine, send me a money order for $500, deal?

Everyone else seems to think that the neigbhor has no financial
responsibility. Maybe they're right. But in case you doubt it, I
would find out from someone in your jurisdiction who KNOWS the answer.

But if the cost is all yours, that's the way it is. Buying a house
creates lots of expenses beyond the cost of the house. You shouldn't
buy a house unless you can probably pay them. You shouldn't have
children unless you can almost certainly afford them.

(Nothing is certain, so I don't say "certainly". If a house is too
expensive, one can move, but you can't just dump your kids.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 1 Apr 2006 09:02:03 -0800, "Ron" wrote:

You must have made a great BB player. Able to reach 30 feet!

The part that needs to be cut is about 30 up. The limb(s) are so long
that they can't support their own weight and they (2 of them) are now
hanging over my lawn and I can touch them.

They also make a chain saw, without the motor, that attaches to two
ropes. You throw one rope over the limb, pull up the chain, then pull
it back and forth until you cut the limb off. I have no idea how long
this takes.

If you can't throw the rope up, you can use a slingshot, with a bolt
in it. Ham radio shows even sell slingshots with fishing reels
attached to make it easier to get the line where you want it, but they
are almost 100 dollars. iirc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 1 Apr 2006 13:37:12 -0800, "Ron" wrote:

Mys Terry wrote:
On 1 Apr 2006 09:02:03 -0800, "Ron" wrote:

The part that needs to be cut is about 30 up. The limb(s) are so long
that they can't support their own weight and they (2 of them) are now
hanging over my lawn and I can touch them.

Stop whining and just cut what you can reach from a stepladder for cry-eye. Then
it won't be within your reach, or in your way.

Sheesh!

Look smart-ass, that won't solve the problem! The limbs are about 40'

Chill, man. We don't need this. His advice may have annoyed you,
but it wasn't foul.

Oh, my reply further down was posted already.

long and are growing DOWNWARD. The entire limb(s) ( I just counted 5 of
them), which are about 30' UP need to be cut off.

The tree needs to be pruned correctly, PERIOD. I suppose your "home
improvements" are done half assed, huh?

BTW, standing on a ladder, with a chainsaw on a lawn, is about the
stupidest, unsafe thing I've ever heard of, idiot!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

mm wrote:
snip
But if the cost is all yours, that's the way it is. Buying a house
creates lots of expenses beyond the cost of the house. You shouldn't
buy a house unless you can probably pay them. You shouldn't have
children unless you can almost certainly afford them.

Let me ask you a question. If you walked out into your yard one day and
saw water spewing up from the ground near the water meter, would you
just go ahead and repair it yourself or would you call the water
company first to make sure it wasn't their responsibility?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
mm wrote:
snip
But if the cost is all yours, that's the way it is. Buying a house
creates lots of expenses beyond the cost of the house. You shouldn't
buy a house unless you can probably pay them. You shouldn't have
children unless you can almost certainly afford them.

Let me ask you a question. If you walked out into your yard one day and
saw water spewing up from the ground near the water meter, would you
just go ahead and repair it yourself or would you call the water
company first to make sure it wasn't their responsibility?

The correct answer is 'C': post to alt.home.repair first to ask who's
responsible for the repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 4 Apr 2006 10:55:00 -0700, "Ron" wrote:

mm wrote:
snip
But if the cost is all yours, that's the way it is. Buying a house
creates lots of expenses beyond the cost of the house. You shouldn't
buy a house unless you can probably pay them. You shouldn't have
children unless you can almost certainly afford them.

Let me ask you a question. If you walked out into your yard one day and
saw water spewing up from the ground near the water meter, would you
just go ahead and repair it yourself or would you call the water
company first to make sure it wasn't their responsibility?

We're way beyond that choice now. No one here objected to your first
post. And everyone except me told you that it was your
responsibility.

The text I responded to, that you snipped, that made that clear was as
follows:

The tree needs to be pruned. And I don't have the $400+ to have it
done. Especially when it's not my tree.

Here you're primarily complaining about the money. When you say "it's
not my tree", you don't say it's not your responsibility, because, I
would guess, the posters here have convinced you that {maybe)it is.
To make sure, I told you what to do, check with someone who KNOWS in
your jurisdiction. There is no point at this point in arguing with
anyone here. Everyone else things it's your expense, and I don't know
but you can't convince me until you do some local research. And if
he has to pay, in your locale, it doesn't matter anymore what we think
(Although we still gave some good advice about not making enemies,
even when requesting money.)

Then quit worrying about it. Either prune what you want on your side of the
line or quit whining. Your neighbor doesn't owe you anything here.

The next guy says it is your responsibility, that the neighbor doesn't
ow you,

Fine, send me a money order for $500, deal?

And still you complain about the money.

I don't know what you're thinking, but what you're saying gives the
frim impression that the overwhelming thing is that you don't want to
spend the money. That's why I wrote that with a house comes expenses.

Now stop whining, and get on with your business.