Posted to alt.home.repair
skippy7024

Default Vent Free Heater Trouble

I have a 30,000 btu heater I just purchased. I am wanting to use this
for a small garage(500 square feet). I used a gas grille regulator to
hook it up, to see if it would work. It lights and runs for a couple
of minutes, then shuts off and kills the pilot. Do I have to have a
different style regulator for this? Do I have a problem with my unit?
Can I use a small tank, until I get a larger tank. I appreciate any
help I can get.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

skippy7024 wrote:
I have a 30,000 btu heater I just purchased. I am wanting to use this
for a small garage(500 square feet). I used a gas grille regulator to
hook it up, to see if it would work. It lights and runs for a couple
of minutes, then shuts off and kills the pilot. Do I have to have a
different style regulator for this? Do I have a problem with my unit?
Can I use a small tank, until I get a larger tank. I appreciate any
help I can get.

Hmmm,
Ventless? where CO would go? And Safety? CO poisoning or fire?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

skippy7024 wrote:
I have a 30,000 btu heater I just purchased. I am wanting to use this
for a small garage(500 square feet). I used a gas grille regulator to
hook it up, to see if it would work. It lights and runs for a couple
of minutes, then shuts off and kills the pilot. Do I have to have a
different style regulator for this? Do I have a problem with my unit?
Can I use a small tank, until I get a larger tank. I appreciate any
help I can get.

Personally I don't like the idea of an open flame in a garage were there
is gasoline. However I suspect your heater is sensing something. It may be
reduced OČ or CO increase or gasoline fumes may be triggering the sensor.
Check the owner's - installation manual.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
skippy7024

Thanks for the reply.
It does have a oxygen sensor on it. I did purchase a CO monitor.
This heater is mounted next to a door. When I was trying to use it,
the door was open. The CO monitor reads aroun 22.1 - 22.4. I hope
this info helps you out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
skippy7024

I guess I need to be more specific. I have a 30 x 40 pole barn. I
sectioned half of it off. I drywalled it and insulated it. I built a
bar and added a couple of TV's. I park my motorcycle in it on the
opposite end from where the heater is mounted. There are no tools or
flammable items in the garage. Minus the motorcycle. I have an
airconditioner in this room also. This really just a hang out pad for
the guys.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

skippy7024 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
It does have a oxygen sensor on it. I did purchase a CO monitor.
This heater is mounted next to a door. When I was trying to use it,
the door was open. The CO monitor reads aroun 22.1 - 22.4. I hope
this info helps you out.

If I remember correctly if my CO monitor reads 22, I don't want to be
there.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

"skippy7024" wrote in message
m...
I guess I need to be more specific. I have a 30 x 40 pole barn. I
sectioned half of it off. I drywalled it and insulated it. I built a
bar and added a couple of TV's. I park my motorcycle in it on the
opposite end from where the heater is mounted. There are no tools or
flammable items in the garage. Minus the motorcycle. I have an
airconditioner in this room also. This really just a hang out pad for
the guys.

If you are using a small tank the tank may be getting too cold and thus
causing the gas pressure to get too low.
Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:42:29 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

skippy7024 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
It does have a oxygen sensor on it. I did purchase a CO monitor.
This heater is mounted next to a door. When I was trying to use it,
the door was open. The CO monitor reads aroun 22.1 - 22.4. I hope
this info helps you out.

If I remember correctly if my CO monitor reads 22, I don't want to be
there.

Your memory probably failed you this time. I get an occasional
reading of 26. [I've never seen it on anything but 0, but it records
the highest reading and every few days I check it and it has a number
in the 20s] 40 for more than 3 hrs sets off my alarm.

If it was constantly in the 20's it might alarm me a bit but OSHA
allows 35ppm over a 8 hr workday. [and that would seem to indicate 40
hours a week]

This page has some effects of different levels-
http://www.sparksfire.org/co.htm

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

wrote:

skippy7024 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
It does have a oxygen sensor on it. I did purchase a CO monitor.
This heater is mounted next to a door. When I was trying to use it,
the door was open. The CO monitor reads aroun 22.1 - 22.4. I hope
this info helps you out.

If I remember correctly if my CO monitor reads 22, I don't want
to be there.

Your memory probably failed you this time.

You are right. I was thinking the one I had used a different scale, but
it is measuring PPM.

Jim

--
Joseph Meehan