Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

Default Dryer- Gas vs Electric

"3rd eye" wrote in message
I just had the appliance guy at the local borg tell me that a gas
dryer is not as efficient as electric due to our mile high altitude
here.

I know. Most of these guys at the borg are hardly what I'd consider
experts in their field.

It's the first I'd heard of that.

Any merit to this?

Sold them for over 25 years. Gas will dry faster, partly because the air is
made super dry by passing through the flame as it is heated thus working
better at removing moisture when it reaches the clothes. Gas dryers cost
$50 more than an electric dryer but the standard used to be that you
recovered that within 6 months in that gas was cheaper to run. I don't know
about now that gas has become so expensive. I suspect the salesman was
confusing gas dryers with gas ranges. I suspect that gas might not be so
effective in bringing a pot to boil at higher altitudes. But then electric
ranges would need to be hotter, also to do that.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom G wrote:
"3rd eye" wrote in message
I just had the appliance guy at the local borg tell me that a gas
dryer is not as efficient as electric due to our mile high altitude
here.

I know. Most of these guys at the borg are hardly what I'd consider
experts in their field.

It's the first I'd heard of that.

Any merit to this?

Sold them for over 25 years. Gas will dry faster, partly because the air is
made super dry by passing through the flame as it is heated thus working
better at removing moisture when it reaches the clothes.

It would seem to me that whatever moisture is in the air entering the
dryer, it is still going to be there as it passes through, whether the
heat source is a flame or electric. Sure the moisture in the air
immeadiately surrounding the flame will be less, but that water is just
shifted to the rest of the air as it moves through the dryer. It
can't disappear because there is no place for it to go. Plus you have
the fact that one of the by-products of combustion of natural gas is
water, which is one reason pro chefs prefer electric ovens. If gas
dryers do dry cloths faster, then it must be because they have a higher
BTU output.

Gas or Electric? phaeton Home Repair 22 October 27th 05 12:21 AM
Whirlpool Electric Dryer Problem Hoopster Electronics Repair 6 July 14th 05 11:14 AM
Green wire on Dryer? Duncan Tuna Home Repair 4 April 25th 05 11:40 AM
Sears Kenmore Electric Dryer Will Not Dry Clothes!! BPO Home Repair 1 January 22nd 04 11:39 AM
Broken Dryer: Fix or Replace? John Davies Home Ownership 12 September 12th 03 01:58 AM