Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default Demolition

Need to gut a house, tear down interior non-bearing walls, remove all
flooring (carpet, wood, tiles etc...) and prep for new flooring (stone
tiles) and new walls.

Can I hire a demo team just to do destruction and removal? Where would I
find them under?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Need to gut a house, tear down interior non-bearing walls, remove all
flooring (carpet, wood, tiles etc...) and prep for new flooring (stone
tiles) and new walls.

Can I hire a demo team just to do destruction and removal? Where would I
find them under?

Thanks,

MC

One good handy man with a couple of helpers should be able to do it. It
ain't rocket surgery, but it would be a good idea to have at least one guy
who knows what he is doing, or they may REALLY demolish the place. There
are all kinds of things in those walls .......... water pipes .......
electricity ........ cables ....... vents ......... and they are easy to
screw up. Getting those things fixed if they are unintentionally demolished
will defeat your cost cutting efforts. Calling for a "demolition team" is
entirely different than calling for someone who is experienced in removing
things with the intention of rebuilding. If you are going to "gut" the
house, you really need someone who's experienced or you will have to pay a
lot to redo what amateurs **** up.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

And, if the OP doesn't know where to find labor, who is going to decide
what is a bearing wall and what trim to save?
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

It can be fun, watching a home go from trashed to nice. At least I
enjoyed it. GREAT EXERCISE!

I recommend the owner is on site because stuff comes up and decisions
must be made!

Delays cost $$$ and maybe worse time....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to miamicuse :
Need to gut a house, tear down interior non-bearing walls, remove all
flooring (carpet, wood, tiles etc...) and prep for new flooring (stone
tiles) and new walls.

Can I hire a demo team just to do destruction and removal? Where would I
find them under?

If you're hiring a contractor to do the renovations, it's usually best to get
them to do the demolition too. More incentive to not screw up.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're hiring a contractor to do the renovations, it's usually best
to get
them to do the demolition too. More incentive to not screw up.

MAYBE, hey hit that item here and we get the extra $ replacing the
entire run

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote in message
ups.com...
It can be fun, watching a home go from trashed to nice. At least I
enjoyed it. GREAT EXERCISE!

I recommend the owner is on site because stuff comes up and decisions
must be made!

Delays cost $$$ and maybe worse time....

If this person doesn't know even where to get the labor, I doubt they would
know much about what else to do. To me, they would just be a PITA homeowner
interrupting me every twenty minutes.

Remember? Their first delay so far is knowing where to get labor.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Need to gut a house, tear down interior non-bearing walls, remove all
flooring (carpet, wood, tiles etc...) and prep for new flooring (stone
tiles) and new walls.

Can I hire a demo team just to do destruction and removal? Where would I
find them under?

Thanks,

MC

You will find them under the trees in front of HD or Lowes any morning of
the week. Se Habla Espanol?(watching the news lately i.e. guest workers).
Around here its $10 per hour flat for just about any unskilled labor.

Most of these guys are just grunts but some are actually talented. Best to
hire a good handyman and let him conjur up a crew unless you want to get
really involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:39:56 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

One good handy man with a couple of helpers should be able to do it. It
ain't rocket surgery, but it would be a good idea to have at least one guy
who knows what he is doing, or they may REALLY demolish the place. There
are all kinds of things in those walls .......... water pipes .......
electricity ........ cables ....... vents ......... and they are easy to
screw up. Getting those things fixed if they are unintentionally demolished
will defeat your cost cutting efforts.

Most major remodels I've been on have involved much re-routing of
plumbing and wiring anyway, especially where kitchens and/or baths
are involved.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote:

One good handy man with a couple of helpers should be able to do it. It
ain't rocket surgery, but it would be a good idea to have at least one guy
who knows what he is doing, or they may REALLY demolish the place. There
are all kinds of things in those walls .......... water pipes .......
electricity ........ cables ....... vents ......... and they are easy to
screw up. Getting those things fixed if they are unintentionally
demolished
will defeat your cost cutting efforts.

Most major remodels I've been on have involved much re-routing of
plumbing and wiring anyway, especially where kitchens and/or baths
are involved.

--
-john

Agreed. I just meant to say that hiring inexperienced people and giving
them instructions to "demolish" this might not be a good idea. And even
people who know what they're doing goof up. One could say "just tear
everything out", but I wouldn't.

Steve