Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dug

Default sectional concrete 1960's garage demolition - 1.5t or 3 ton 360 excavator?

A question for anyone with knowledge of either 1960's build concrete
garages or mini excavators and breaker attachments. I have a little
weekend project to safely bring down a garage like the one in this
link:-

http://www.wessex-concrete-sectional-garages.co.uk/

I have 2 main areas of query:-

1. I know it is made from concrete panels about 2m tall x 1m wide x
0.03m thick, but that is about it. Are they reinforced? And more
generally does anyone have an idea as to how they are put up and
therefore can safely be demolished?

2. The area in which I am working in is restricted and I can only
pull it down from the inside. I want to know if a 1.5 ton machine, with
breaker will be able to handle it? I should be able to get decent
purchase on the top of the section with the bucket and lever the panels
down, but ultimately the answer to this one may rely on whether the
concrete sections are reinforced. If they are reinforced they will be a
real pig to move.
I am sure the 3 ton machine would be capable of demolishing both the
garage and the base, but it would obviously cost more to hire and would
be a bit of a squeeze in the driveway.

What would be the smart excavator choice, based on the info provided?

Any advise on either of the two questions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Dug

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

"Dug" wrote in message
oups.com...
A question for anyone with knowledge of either 1960's build concrete
garages or mini excavators and breaker attachments. I have a little
weekend project to safely bring down a garage like the one in this
link:-

http://www.wessex-concrete-sectional-garages.co.uk/

I have 2 main areas of query:-

1. I know it is made from concrete panels about 2m tall x 1m wide x
0.03m thick, but that is about it. Are they reinforced? And more
generally does anyone have an idea as to how they are put up and
therefore can safely be demolished?

I had one put up like that in the 1980's. It was bolted together and sat on
a concrete base. It wouldn't require a digger to demolish - just unbolt the
panels. All they are are connected panels. The very old ones had concrete
slats that fitted between uprights. The one I had erected would be a doddle
to take down - without an excavator.

2. The area in which I am working in is restricted and I can only
pull it down from the inside. I want to know if a 1.5 ton machine, with
breaker will be able to handle it? I should be able to get decent
purchase on the top of the section with the bucket and lever the panels
down, but ultimately the answer to this one may rely on whether the
concrete sections are reinforced. If they are reinforced they will be a
real pig to move.
I am sure the 3 ton machine would be capable of demolishing both the
garage and the base, but it would obviously cost more to hire and would
be a bit of a squeeze in the driveway.

What would be the smart excavator choice, based on the info provided?

Not to use an excavator at all.

Any advise on either of the two questions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Dug

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Dug submitted this idea :

1. I know it is made from concrete panels about 2m tall x 1m wide x
0.03m thick, but that is about it. Are they reinforced? And more
generally does anyone have an idea as to how they are put up and
therefore can safely be demolished?

They are reinforced with a hardened steel wire of around 3/16" each
will weigh around 2cwt.

Take the roof/front off first, then work back panel by panel along the
sides. When you get to the final panel each side, leave one in place as
a brace, then tackle it from one side and then along the back until
just two panels in the corner support each other. Two people should
cope up to that point, but you will propably need three at the final
corner. The panels generally use a tongue and grove, with a pair of
bolts to and bottom.

If you are thinking of breaking up the panels, they break quite easily
with a tap from a sledge hammer, however the reinforcing will need to
be exposed and cut. A small angle grinder with cutting disk will cut
the steel easily.

2. The area in which I am working in is restricted and I can only
pull it down from the inside. I want to know if a 1.5 ton machine, with
breaker will be able to handle it? I should be able to get decent
purchase on the top of the section with the bucket and lever the panels
down, but ultimately the answer to this one may rely on whether the
concrete sections are reinforced. If they are reinforced they will be a
real pig to move.

I took one down in less than four hours by hand with two helpers,
without damaging any of it, why not take it down - perhaps even resell
it?

I am sure the 3 ton machine would be capable of demolishing both the
garage and the base, but it would obviously cost more to hire and would
be a bit of a squeeze in the driveway.

What would be the smart excavator choice, based on the info provided?

One the garage is out of the way, the base might or might not be more
difficult. I have seen them easily broken up using nothing more than a
scaffold pole and a sledge hammer. You lever the base up, then wallop
it with the sledge, breaking it into smaller and smaller sections until
handleable. Another way would be to use an electric Kango.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
shaun

"Dug" wrote in message
oups.com...
A question for anyone with knowledge of either 1960's build concrete
garages or mini excavators and breaker attachments. I have a little
weekend project to safely bring down a garage like the one in this
link:-

Don't bother. Do it by hand. If the panels are 2m tall and you're sat in a
mini digger in the middle of the garage where are they going to fall?

If you've got such a restricted space and you've never operated a mini
digger before (assumed by your question) you have a lot of potential to
cause serious damage / injury.

What would be the smart excavator choice, based on the info provided?

Mini diggers with peckers on are for demolishing air raid shelters, not 3cm
thick sectional garages ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Advertise it on eBay for the buyer to collect.

Sectional concrete garages and condensation. Philip Stokes UK diy 3 June 8th 04 09:02 PM
Building an Extension (Garage and Block Selection) Andrew Welham UK diy 12 January 3rd 04 11:12 AM
Garage workshop - moisture on concrete floor gh1[nospam]@telus.net Woodworking 6 December 9th 03 08:27 PM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 08:15 AM
Paint for concrete garage floor? al UK diy 4 August 4th 03 12:50 PM