Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob Caskey

Default Can anyone help me out with a part # on a Rheem Compressor (RPKA-025JAZ)?

Model # is RPKA-025JAZ

Last summer my AC stopped working and the guy came out and found some
piston that was clogged. He used a needle and pulled out something that
looked like a tiny grain of sand. This time a different company was out
for an electrical job (the first was hvac only) and I had them take a
look as I was concerned we might have a whole-house grounding problem.
They took out the multi-meter and said the compressor is shot?

Anyone got a theory on what actually ocurred here? Should I call the
other guy out or just bite the bullet and buy the compressor. Either
way I'm going to have to have someone else out to do the install &
flush the system I suppose.

--Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob Caskey

oh, and of course it's only a few months outside it's 5 year warranty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Rob Caskey wrote:
Model # is RPKA-025JAZ

Last summer my AC stopped working and the guy came out and found some
piston that was clogged. He used a needle and pulled out something that
looked like a tiny grain of sand. This time a different company was out
for an electrical job (the first was hvac only) and I had them take a
look as I was concerned we might have a whole-house grounding problem.
They took out the multi-meter and said the compressor is shot?

Anyone got a theory on what actually ocurred here? Should I call the
other guy out or just bite the bullet and buy the compressor. Either
way I'm going to have to have someone else out to do the install &
flush the system I suppose.

--Rob

I would be very Leary of needing to replace a compressor after only
five years. Many people in the HVAC trade are crooks and will tell you
whatever they think you will accept. Thirty years ago a "Tech" told me
that I needed a new compressor for one of my A/C systems. It was only
the wires from the thermostat not making a good connection due to
corrosion, and the unit is still working fine. Get another opinion from
someone who is recommended by a satisfied customer. You won't be sorry.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Bubba wrote:
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:15:42 GMT, Ken wrote:

Rob Caskey wrote:
[...]

So because someone gave you bad advice 30 ****ing years ago, you are
going to stomp on the whole HVAC industry in one fell swoop?
My guess is the story goes like this:
Your A/C quit in some trashed **** infested slum property of yours.
Your past history is that your are one tight ass sun of a bitch and
you were being paid back by the drunken retard at the bar that you had
look at the A/C for a six pack and a Spam sandwich.
You sir are the scum of the earth.
Go crawl back under the rock you came from.
Bubba

Bubba,

You need to take a deep breath and re-read my post again. I said
"Many," not "ALL" are crooks. I am sorry you found this offensive, but
if YOU are not a crook you should be offended by those who ARE, not by
the customers who have been victimized by the crooks. And if you think
that his diagnosis was just "Bad advice" I shall expand on the event for
you:

This was a NEW home a little over one year old. The compressor unit
was not starting when the A/C was called for, and since I knew the units
were under warranty I called the company who had installed them to
service them. A technician came out and without even taking a single
electrical measurement diagnosed the compressor as bad. Since my field
is electronics, and had been for over thirty years, I could not believe
my eyes since he did not even know if power was being applied to the
unit. In less than five minutes he told me that I needed a new
compressor. Thinking that it would be covered by the warranty, I said
"Go ahead, it is covered by the warranty." To which he informed me that
only the PARTS were covered, and that LABOR would be $600!!!!!
Apparently he would reap a commission on the recommended job!

It was then that I told him I would call him AFTER I thought it over.
After he left I measured the coil of the contactor and found no 24 volt
A/C. Going back from there I saw where the control wires coming from
the thermostat in the house were twisted together with wires going to
the contactor, and that they were corroded due to the copper having
oxidized. I soldered them and taped them. The rest is history, thirty
years of history.

Now how you can accuse someone you know nothing about of living in,
owning slum property, or hanging out in bars is beyond me. Perhaps you
attended the same diagnostic school as the technician I cited above?
Since I do not know much about you personally, I shall refrain from
making such a judgment of you. I do not blame you for defending your
trade, particularly if YOU are an honest member of that trade. You
should be equally upset that others are giving your trade a bad name.

One more story: It just so happens that although my heating and A/C
systems are still working fine, I decided I was living on borrowed time
and would replace them this spring. I of course called several
companies to submit proposals after having done two "Manual J's" to
arrive at proper size etc. I took my own advice and talked to neighbors
who had work done and were satisfied with both quality and price. Two
of the proposals submitted were more than twice as large as two others
for THE SAME HARDWARE AND PROCEDURES. I rest my case!!!!

P.S. I am NOT the scum of the earth, but I AM a tight SOB!!! I also do
not like people who lie and extort money from those who are not
knowledgeable enough to realize what is happening to them. I shall now
crawl under my rock.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM
Ball valves - whats the difference Alan Campbell UK diy 5 March 24th 04 01:06 PM
"Part P in force by 2004" Andy Wade UK diy 45 November 12th 03 04:43 PM
What lathe must I get to duplicate this fog horn part? Paul T. Metalworking 37 September 3rd 03 09:22 PM