Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Default Can anyone help me out with a part # on a Rheem Compressor (RPKA-025JAZ)?

Rob Caskey wrote:
Model # is RPKA-025JAZ

Last summer my AC stopped working and the guy came out and found some
piston that was clogged. He used a needle and pulled out something that
looked like a tiny grain of sand. This time a different company was out
for an electrical job (the first was hvac only) and I had them take a
look as I was concerned we might have a whole-house grounding problem.
They took out the multi-meter and said the compressor is shot?

Anyone got a theory on what actually ocurred here? Should I call the
other guy out or just bite the bullet and buy the compressor. Either
way I'm going to have to have someone else out to do the install &
flush the system I suppose.

--Rob

I would be very Leary of needing to replace a compressor after only
five years. Many people in the HVAC trade are crooks and will tell you
whatever they think you will accept. Thirty years ago a "Tech" told me
that I needed a new compressor for one of my A/C systems. It was only
the wires from the thermostat not making a good connection due to
corrosion, and the unit is still working fine. Get another opinion from
someone who is recommended by a satisfied customer. You won't be sorry.