Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default STrong fumes from oven

When I first moved into my new home and hooked up my gas oven, it would
spew lots of stank fumes when I used it. I basically had to stay about
5' back or my eyes would burn. I remember this at my last house when we
first bought it as well.

But now 3 years later I suddenly realize it does not do this, and has
probably not done this for a long time. I put the gas piping in my
self. I suspect there is something I did not do that I was supposed to
do for a new install? I hate working with pressure or gas, but it was
like 3 days till thanksgiving and we needed to get the oven going.

Note: The oven was not new and followed us from our last house.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

dnoyeB wrote:
When I first moved into my new home and hooked up my gas oven, it
would spew lots of stank fumes when I used it. I basically had to
stay about 5' back or my eyes would burn. I remember this at my last
house when we first bought it as well.

But now 3 years later I suddenly realize it does not do this, and has
probably not done this for a long time. I put the gas piping in my
self. I suspect there is something I did not do that I was supposed
to do for a new install? I hate working with pressure or gas, but it
was like 3 days till thanksgiving and we needed to get the oven going.

Note: The oven was not new and followed us from our last house.

Can I assume that the odor you had was not the smell of gas?

The first time any oven is used, it tends to have racks, and metal parts
that have not been toughly heated recently. They tend to have oil and dust
on them from manufacturer and storage. Normally I would not expect the kind
of reaction you experienced, but people vary in sensitivity and it may have
been stored somewhere and accumulated more than the usual dust.

There is nothing in installation, other than maybe using a connection
near it that was not rated for high temperature use, that would have caused
the problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

I was thinking oven cleaner and grease. If never wiped out, could take
a while to dissipate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Sev wrote:
I was thinking oven cleaner and grease. If never wiped out, could take
a while to dissipate.

There's a thought. perhaps my wife 'cleaned' it. We do have the high
temperature cleaning mode. I doubt if she did that, but since it was a
move its totally possible that she sprayed it and never wiped it or
maybe cleaned it in some form before the move. We definitely cleaned
the outside.

Damn. I wonder what it is we ate from that oven...

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
Sev wrote:
I was thinking oven cleaner and grease. If never wiped out, could take
a while to dissipate.

There's a thought. perhaps my wife 'cleaned' it. We do have the high
temperature cleaning mode. I doubt if she did that, but since it was a
move its totally possible that she sprayed it and never wiped it or maybe
cleaned it in some form before the move. We definitely cleaned the
outside.

Damn. I wonder what it is we ate from that oven...

--
Thank you,

Other than manually cleaning up sugar-laden spills, like from baking a pie,
why would you NOT use the self-clean method? Does your wife have a passion
for nasty chemical fumes?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

dnoyeB wrote:

When I first moved into my new home and hooked up my gas oven, it would
spew lots of stank fumes when I used it. I basically had to stay about
5' back or my eyes would burn. I remember this at my last house when we
first bought it as well.

But now 3 years later I suddenly realize it does not do this, and has
probably not done this for a long time. I put the gas piping in my
self. I suspect there is something I did not do that I was supposed to
do for a new install? I hate working with pressure or gas, but it was
like 3 days till thanksgiving and we needed to get the oven going.

Note: The oven was not new and followed us from our last house.

Have you seen the cat lately?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Doug Kanter wrote:
"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..

Sev wrote:

I was thinking oven cleaner and grease. If never wiped out, could take
a while to dissipate.

There's a thought. perhaps my wife 'cleaned' it. We do have the high
temperature cleaning mode. I doubt if she did that, but since it was a
move its totally possible that she sprayed it and never wiped it or maybe
cleaned it in some form before the move. We definitely cleaned the
outside.

Damn. I wonder what it is we ate from that oven...

--
Thank you,

Other than manually cleaning up sugar-laden spills, like from baking a pie,
why would you NOT use the self-clean method? Does your wife have a passion
for nasty chemical fumes?

Well the manual cleaning does not get 100%. And we were moving so she
likely cleaned the surface of the oven. It may even be that I had
already turned off the gas and she was looking for something to do.

Either way, lets not start using logic. That will just get me into a
lot of trouble.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

CJT wrote:
dnoyeB wrote:

When I first moved into my new home and hooked up my gas oven, it
would spew lots of stank fumes when I used it. I basically had to
stay about 5' back or my eyes would burn. I remember this at my last
house when we first bought it as well.

But now 3 years later I suddenly realize it does not do this, and has
probably not done this for a long time. I put the gas piping in my
self. I suspect there is something I did not do that I was supposed
to do for a new install? I hate working with pressure or gas, but it
was like 3 days till thanksgiving and we needed to get the oven going.

Note: The oven was not new and followed us from our last house.

Have you seen the cat lately?

If I ever see one of those around my house!

POW!

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..

Sev wrote:

[...]

Well, you could start from scratch, giving the whole thing an insanely
obsessive cleaning. That would include underneath, the back, and opening the
cooktop, if possible. Then, tell the Mrs. to follow proper procedures, or
you'll just buy a new stove any time "someone" screws it up badly.

Of course, *I* wouldn't do this, but you could try it. Let us know how it
goes, and which park you're living in, under a box.