Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave

Default Anchor Cabinets to Brick

I was wondering what my options were to anchor 2x4's to a brick
firewall. I want to create sturdy backing for my upper cabinets using
5/8" plywood.

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was wondering what my options were to anchor 2x4's to a brick
firewall. I want to create sturdy backing for my upper cabinets using
5/8" plywood.

Thanks,

There are many types of anchors that you drill, set, then tighten a nut to
secure the wood. You'd have to countersink the nut to assure a flat
surface. How many 2 x 4's are you putting up? Can you nail into the top
and bottom instead of the wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill allemann

One issue about drilling in brick is the age of the brick and mortar. If
it's historic architecture, sometimes a hammer drill can cause some
problems. Tapcon screws use a rather small diameter hole that probably
wouldn't require a hammer drill. In many types of brick
you can use a carbide bit in a standard drill.
If you can use a hammer drill, I prefer the plastic screw anchors, commonly
in 5/16 diameter. A #8 (I think) sheet metal or wood screw is used with
them, and they are pretty forgiving on misalignment.
bill

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was wondering what my options were to anchor 2x4's to a brick
firewall. I want to create sturdy backing for my upper cabinets using
5/8" plywood.

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave

It is a 100 year old building. I can attach the 2x4 to the top plate
but not the sole plate due to the plumbing being in the way. I like
the idea of just using a regular drill with carbide bit and the tapcon
screws. I will look into that.