Posted to alt.home.repair
bill allemann

Default Anchor Cabinets to Brick

One issue about drilling in brick is the age of the brick and mortar. If
it's historic architecture, sometimes a hammer drill can cause some
problems. Tapcon screws use a rather small diameter hole that probably
wouldn't require a hammer drill. In many types of brick
you can use a carbide bit in a standard drill.
If you can use a hammer drill, I prefer the plastic screw anchors, commonly
in 5/16 diameter. A #8 (I think) sheet metal or wood screw is used with
them, and they are pretty forgiving on misalignment.
bill

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was wondering what my options were to anchor 2x4's to a brick
firewall. I want to create sturdy backing for my upper cabinets using
5/8" plywood.

Thanks,