DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Anchor Cabinets to Brick (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/150418-anchor-cabinets-brick.html)

Dave March 23rd 06 08:55 PM

Anchor Cabinets to Brick

I was wondering what my options were to anchor 2x4's to a brick
firewall. I want to create sturdy backing for my upper cabinets using
5/8" plywood.

Thanks,

Edwin Pawlowski March 23rd 06 10:49 PM

Anchor Cabinets to Brick

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was wondering what my options were to anchor 2x4's to a brick
firewall. I want to create sturdy backing for my upper cabinets using
5/8" plywood.

Thanks,

There are many types of anchors that you drill, set, then tighten a nut to
secure the wood. You'd have to countersink the nut to assure a flat
surface. How many 2 x 4's are you putting up? Can you nail into the top
and bottom instead of the wall?

bill allemann March 23rd 06 11:22 PM

Anchor Cabinets to Brick

One issue about drilling in brick is the age of the brick and mortar. If
it's historic architecture, sometimes a hammer drill can cause some
problems. Tapcon screws use a rather small diameter hole that probably
wouldn't require a hammer drill. In many types of brick
you can use a carbide bit in a standard drill.
If you can use a hammer drill, I prefer the plastic screw anchors, commonly
in 5/16 diameter. A #8 (I think) sheet metal or wood screw is used with
them, and they are pretty forgiving on misalignment.
bill

oups.com...

Dave March 24th 06 04:32 PM

Anchor Cabinets to Brick

It is a 100 year old building. I can attach the 2x4 to the top plate
but not the sole plate due to the plumbing being in the way. I like
the idea of just using a regular drill with carbide bit and the tapcon
screws. I will look into that.