Posted to alt.home.repair
Eldon

Default Freezer disposal question - Quebec

Anybody know what the regulations are for disposal of fridges/freezers in la
belle province? Have noticed many in rural areas being used as garbage
containers at the end of the laneway to keep out animals.

My problem is is that the unit is too large to bring out of their basement
(in-laws). I can cut it up and bring it out but I don't want to contravene
any bylaws and incur any fines for them. They live in Shawinigan.

Here in Ontario you have to have the refrigerant pumped out and a special
tag attached to the appliance declaring it safe for removal.

Help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Eldon" wrote in message
.. .
Anybody know what the regulations are for disposal of fridges/freezers in
la
belle province? Have noticed many in rural areas being used as garbage
containers at the end of the laneway to keep out animals.

My problem is is that the unit is too large to bring out of their basement
(in-laws). I can cut it up and bring it out but I don't want to
contravene
any bylaws and incur any fines for them. They live in Shawinigan.

Here in Ontario you have to have the refrigerant pumped out and a special
tag attached to the appliance declaring it safe for removal.

Help.

I don't know about Quebec but not more than 30 minutes after unloading an
old fridge at the dumpster at work (yes, this is allowed) I learned
(literally, publicly announced yesterday) that the CA power company (PG&E)
is offering to pay $35 to recycle your fridge and they will come and pick it
up. Talk about bad timing, I almost brought it back home.

Call recycling centers in your area or the landfill for rules.