Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fridge starting to make noise

I've a GE refridgerator that's no more than 10 years old. Lately it's
started making some noise. I guess I'd desribe it as sometimes sounding
like a noisy fan but occasionally making a clattering noise.

We're thinking about having someone out to look at it but as it doesn't
ALWAYS make the noise we're not sure if it makes sense to pay for
someone to come out and not be able to do anything if it's not making
the noise at the time.

Any idea what this noise might be?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Big Al" wrote in message

"Sasha" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I've a GE refridgerator that's no more than 10 years old. Lately it's
started making some noise. I guess I'd desribe it as sometimes sounding
like a noisy fan but occasionally making a clattering noise.

We're thinking about having someone out to look at it but as it doesn't
ALWAYS make the noise we're not sure if it makes sense to pay for
someone to come out and not be able to do anything if it's not making
the noise at the time.

Any idea what this noise might be?

I'm having a similar problem today. I'll be interested to see what the
answers to your query might be.
0

Most likely one of the fans. You can, no matter what others say, oil them.
First you need to find out if it's in the freezer or under the
refrigerator.
If it is a fan, let me know which one and I'll walk you through oiling it.

On most of these units the fan in the freezer goes off when you open the
door. Makes it easy to see if that where the noise is coming from.

Al

I have a hotpoint of similar vintage with a noisy recirculation fan (loudest
inside the fridge and freezer. The noise is caused by deformed fan blades
hitting something while they turn or the bearings on its motor allowing ot
to move in and out which allows the clatter.

May have been caused by a long defrosted clump of ice that once encased it
or from overloading the freezer and pushing the back wall in.

In any case, it (fan or the fan blade) can be replaced or sometimes
strainghtened out but it is located behind the panel in the back of the
freezer and requires some disassembly to get at it.

I find that calling and asking the guy at the reapir parts store what I need
is pretty reliable. He sells so many parts he just matches the symptom up
with a replacement part automatically.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

vacuum the dirt out of all the bottom or rear coils and clean out the
drain pan underneath. you could unplug and completely manually defrost
the refrigerator at room temperature for 48 hours with the doors open
and a 20" window fan blowing on it from the kitchen table. plug it back
in and allow it to get cold for 24 hours. this will allow any
accumulation of hidden ice to vanish, and probably give you a nice
giveaway refrigerator, while you are waiting for your new energy star
refrigerator to be delivered.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 13 Mar 2006 09:33:19 -0800, wrote:

I've a GE refridgerator that's no more than 10 years old. Lately it's
started making some noise. I guess I'd desribe it as sometimes sounding
like a noisy fan but occasionally making a clattering noise.

We're thinking about having someone out to look at it but as it doesn't
ALWAYS make the noise we're not sure if it makes sense to pay for
someone to come out and not be able to do anything if it's not making
the noise at the time.

Exactly. I asked my girlfriend what she wanted for her birthday, but
she was sleeping at the time. So I never found out.

Any idea what this noise might be?

Might be the coil cooling fan. I would move the fridge away from the
wall, take off the cardboard cover on the back so that I could see the
mechanism, and look at it closely with a work light or a bright
flashlight. Maybe you'll see something. If not, put the fridge back
part way if possible so that you can still get your head in there. and
leave the flashlight handy. Then when it makes the noise again, go
look. Your ears will make your face point straight at the trouble.

I had a mouse get caught in my fan, and there was no noise at all, and
no air blowing out the front bottom of the fridge. I turned the blade
(you might try turning the blade with pencil when it is not running,
and seeing if it turns smoothly. If you're sure it's not going to
start, you could get a better feel with your fingers. It wasn't going
full speed but I got hit by that fan and it didn't even leave a
bruise, much less a cut. Anyhow, I rotated the blade and the mouse
fell out. Everything was fine for 3 months and then the fan stopped
again. Found some insulation that had fallen into it. Maybe a
coincidence or maybe I loosened it somehow.