Posted to alt.home.repair
derekd

Default Large gap between wall and countertop

Hi there,

I didn't know where to post, so I posted here. I recently removed some
old sealant caulking from between my counter tops and my kitchen wall
due to nasty yellowing and cracks (The previous home owners were
brutal...)

After I removed the sealing, there is now a good half inch gap. It's
as if they used some of rubber seal below the caulking. Is there a
name for this? I can't use normal sealant yet because the gap is too
big.

Any ideas what to use?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

There's a kind of foam rope product available that'll fill the excess
gap. Go to your local harware store, and ask there. Different radii for
different gaps. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

tom wrote:
There's a kind of foam rope product available that'll fill the excess
gap. Go to your local harware store, and ask there. Different radii for
different gaps. Tom

If you ultimately want to use caulk, you can just use a piece of foam
weatherstrip of the right width to close the gap so you can put caulk
on top. However, I don't think a half inch of caulk is gonna look
very good. You may want to consider some kind of trim molding.