Old November 10th 03, 02:40 PM
Swingman

Default Building Kitchen Cabinets

John Paquay's "Building Your Own Kitchen Cabinets" and Jim Toplin's
"Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets".

The following is from an old post of mine.

quote

"I personally like John's basic kitchen cabinet construction method, which
focuses on hardwood face frames, routed to accept the cabinet sides and
floors. IME, once you build one cabinet using John's method, the light goes
on and no cabinet is then too tough. John still posts here occasionally and
the last time I looked his booklet could be ordered at:

http://home.insightbb.com/~jpaquay/shop.html

While John's little book is geared to the construction of the basic wall and
base cabinet, Toplin's book is a fairly good reference for different types
of cabinet construction, drawers and, in particular, installation.

If I had to do with just one, and had never built a kitchen cabinet before,
I would go with John's self-published booklet... but both of them together
will give you what you need, and the confidence, to get the job done.

Strictly my .02 based on my hands on experience of what you are
anticipating"

/quote

If you have any question about this undertaking , just fire away.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Ray Kinzler" wrote in message
om...
I have decided to bite the bullet and attempt to build my kitchen
cabinets myself. The wife isn't so happy about the idea because she
thinks I don't know enough to actually make them and have them look
anything near good.

She has a small point in that I do not have a lot of experience but
the doggone things look so simple to build. Maybe I am
underestimating the complexity of them or overestimating my abilities
but they are nothing but a box with a door.

Well, maybe that WAS a little on the oversimplification side.

In aby event, I seem to recall a recommendation for a book that is
short and sweet and only sold online. I saw it in a thread here a
couple months ago when I was pushing around the idea of simply
refacing the exisiting cabinets and go the bug to actaully build them
once I read the website.

Can anybody remember the site I am talking about?

Thanks

Old November 10th 03, 02:59 PM
Ben

Good for you Ray! Don't worry it's a challenge you can handle. How do I
know? Well because I knew very little about woodworking and I was able to
do it! I took a woodworking class to get the basics and I currently have
all my base cabinets built, including a lazy Suzan, which I think is pretty
cool. And they have inset doors, with may tell me are harder to build.

They Are basically a box with a door. But I urge you to think them out a
bit. there are a lot of nice custom things you can do with them. There are
several books out there, I got some off Amazon. You can even just make the
box and order the doors pre made, but I'm enjoying making them myself.

Good luck.

Ben

Old November 10th 03, 03:00 PM
Dean

This is my first post to this newsgroup so I hope I'm on the right track
with my information here. I dont know the website, but I have a book called
' Making Kitchen Cabinets ' by Paul Levine which is very good - full of
practical stuff and hints with good illustrations and pictures. It is
published by The Taunton Press of the USA. International Standard Book
Number 0-918804-94-9 and Library of Congress Catalogue Card Number 87-51674.
My copy is the 1988 edition and I brought it in a bookshop here in Australia
about a year ago, but being a fairly 'old ' book now, perhaps its only
available through the web.

Hope this helps,
Dean.

"Ray Kinzler"

Old November 10th 03, 03:51 PM
George M. Kazaka

Ray building Kitchen cabinets is easier tham making a cardboard box, it is
one of the biggest whoring of woodowrking that there is. Simple fundamentles
24" deep boxes, 36" high floor to worktop if you have a 1-1/2" top

Be carefull in your inside corners, upper cabs 12" deep 30" high is the
standard but do not be afraid to go to 32 and 36 or higher if your ceilings
allow, give's the wife a lot more storage room for the 50% of crap that
women keep that they use once a year.
(I should talk my wife is always giving me hell because i do cook and buy or
have bought most everything out thereG)

It all in the fronts good doors throw up a nice crown mldg on the top and a
mldg on the bottom edge of the upper cabinets and make a door for your end
panels,

You will end up with look that will have her apologizing for doubting you
for a long time G
Go For It
Good Luck,
George

Old November 10th 03, 05:48 PM
Bob Bowles

Kid I worked with and his father both were woodworkers with Unisaws
and in remodel thay decided to make cabinets and but doors. I made
pull out drawers for cabinets above fridge and oven with low
front/sides that make reclaiming items MUCH easier than before.

On 10 Nov 2003 11:08:13 -0800, (Ray Kinzler)
wrote:

I will say that I am thinking about cheating a little and ordering the
doors and drawer fronts. I am ambitious but I don't have oodles of
time at this point. Plus it seems to me that those pieces are the
hardest ones.

Old November 10th 03, 06:49 PM
Ray Kinzler

Swingman,

As Lucy van Pelt used to say in the old "Peanuts" comincs: "THAT'S
IT!!!!!"

John Paquay's manual is exactly what I was referring to. However, the
material mentioned by others looked very good as well. I guess I was
just looking for the old cut-to-the-chase sort of manual and this is
it. Nothing fancy.

Thanks also to the others who responded and gave a few hints (like
watch out for the inside corners). It was sort of a good feeling to
be told that building kitchen cabinets is easier than making a
cardboard box. It certainly seemed that way to me but if all you guys
think the same thing, it makes me feel a lot better.

I also liked the ideas about the lazy susans and the advice to think
things out. I am going to take some real time to brainstorm to see
what I can come up with but I am basically limited in what I can do.
The kitchen is a rectangle and there is not enough room for an island
in the middle (unless the wife wants to get rid of the kitchen table
and eat in the dining room). I see spots where I can hang some
additional cabinets like on the wall above the microwave, above the
fridge, and above the sink (maybe). Other than that, I am
more-or-less going to mimic what is already in place as far as
dimensions are concerned. The only big thing I could maybe do is
knock out a wall but (a) it is a load-bearing wall and I do not have
enough experience messing with that sort of stuff although a 2x12
spanning across the opening should hold it and (b) that would actually
take away from the space that I have because that is where the kitchen
sink is currently.

I am getting WAY ahead of myself. I need to get a manual and a few
hundred pieces of paper and draw something.

Thanks a lot!!

Old November 10th 03, 07:08 PM
Ray Kinzler

It's impractical to respond to all messages but I needed to reposnd to
you, Geroge, because you hit the nail on the head! My wife has so
much, well, CRAP, that one of the big reasons I want to put in new
cabinets is to increase storage. She pile those top shelves
full...and then call me at work some morning whining that she can't
find something and she thinks it's in the back corner on the top
shelf. And it's too high for her to reach. And she's NOT going to
reach for it. I will need to get it as soon as I get home and that
will ruin blah, blah, blah.

I get yelled at because I cook, too. And I buy a lot of stuff. She
just doesn't understand that cooking is like woodworking: the right
tool for the right job makes life easier and the experience more
enjoyable. If it were up to her, I would still be using the
butterknife she and her mother used as a screwdriver.

But I don't care...I like your idea. I actuall have enough room
between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling to put either an
additional shelf inside the cabinet or even install an additional
door, maybe even, and have separate cabinets above the cabinet. Sort
of gives me a reason to try and make doors with glass in them, even.