Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron in NY

Default GARAGE DOOR NOT CENTERED BETWEEN THE TRACKS

Hi all,

One of my garage doors has moved off center. It has an electric operator,
that has always worked flawlessly, but recently, because the door is off center,
the door hits one of the tracks, then pops, and then centers itself and goes up.
Going down is no problem--it doesn't hit the track going down. All of the
rollers are free--both the wheels and the shafts--everything slides properly.
Over the last 2 years, I have replaced the springs, as they broke one by one.
They are extension springs--not torsion springs. With the operator disconnected,
the door operates fine by hand, but still hits one of the tracks. The door is
light and moves easily by hand.

What actually centers the door between the tracks ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Ron in NY wrote:

Hi all,

One of my garage doors has moved off center. It has an electric operator,
that has always worked flawlessly, but recently, because the door is off center,
the door hits one of the tracks, then pops, and then centers itself and goes up.
Going down is no problem--it doesn't hit the track going down. All of the
rollers are free--both the wheels and the shafts--everything slides properly.
Over the last 2 years, I have replaced the springs, as they broke one by one.
They are extension springs--not torsion springs. With the operator disconnected,
the door operates fine by hand, but still hits one of the tracks. The door is
light and moves easily by hand.

What actually centers the door between the tracks ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Sound like maybe one of the cables has stretched or slipped at an
attachment point. Or, one of the springs may have "stretched" and isn't
"pulling it's weight" as much as the other spring does.

I'm assuming you changed the springs as a pair. If you did them one at a
time when they broke, the older one may have taken a little more of a
set than the newest one.

If you changed the springs yourself, you should know how to shorten the
cable a little on the side which lags a bit when the door starts to
open, and see if that helps.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Ron in NY wrote:
Hi all,

One of my garage doors has moved off center. It has an electric
operator, that has always worked flawlessly, but recently, because
the door is off center, the door hits one of the tracks, then pops,
and then centers itself and goes up. Going down is no problem--it
doesn't hit the track going down. All of the rollers are free--both
the wheels and the shafts--everything slides properly. Over the last
2 years, I have replaced the springs, as they broke one by one. They
are extension springs--not torsion springs. With the operator
disconnected, the door operates fine by hand, but still hits one of
the tracks. The door is light and moves easily by hand.

What actually centers the door between the tracks ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Take a good look at those springs. I suspect one is tighter than the
other.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
[...]

Could be the springs dont have equal tension,
Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

The door is centered by virtue of being 1/2 way between the wheels. My door
has no global alignment.

Wheels popping out of the track is often caused by the track being bent.
This often happens when I try to exit the garage with the SUV's lift gate
open (Duh!). The track bends when a wheel pops out and the wheel will want
to keep popping out until I bend the lower lip of the track back into shape.
The track should keep the wheel captive throughout the entire length of
travel.

" wrote in message

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Listen to Joseph and Jimmie. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
GoHabsGo

"PipeDown" wrote in
nk.net:

The door is centered by virtue of being 1/2 way between the wheels.
My door has no global alignment.

Wheels popping out of the track is often caused by the track being
bent. This often happens when I try to exit the garage with the SUV's
lift gate open (Duh!). The track bends when a wheel pops out and the
wheel will want to keep popping out until I bend the lower lip of the
track back into shape. The track should keep the wheel captive
throughout the entire length of travel.

My problem was the bearings on the wheels were mushy and loose causing the
wheel not to stay perpendicular to the shaft. This made the wheel fall out
of the track. Replacing the wheels fixed the problem for me.