Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default GARAGE DOOR NOT CENTERED BETWEEN THE TRACKS

Ron in NY wrote:

Hi all,

One of my garage doors has moved off center. It has an electric operator,
that has always worked flawlessly, but recently, because the door is off center,
the door hits one of the tracks, then pops, and then centers itself and goes up.
Going down is no problem--it doesn't hit the track going down. All of the
rollers are free--both the wheels and the shafts--everything slides properly.
Over the last 2 years, I have replaced the springs, as they broke one by one.
They are extension springs--not torsion springs. With the operator disconnected,
the door operates fine by hand, but still hits one of the tracks. The door is
light and moves easily by hand.

What actually centers the door between the tracks ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Sound like maybe one of the cables has stretched or slipped at an
attachment point. Or, one of the springs may have "stretched" and isn't
"pulling it's weight" as much as the other spring does.

I'm assuming you changed the springs as a pair. If you did them one at a
time when they broke, the older one may have taken a little more of a
set than the newest one.

If you changed the springs yourself, you should know how to shorten the
cable a little on the side which lags a bit when the door starts to
open, and see if that helps.

HTH,

Jeff

--