Posted to alt.home.repair
BiloxiBoy

Default Is $3,000 right for floating sheetrock?

As a result of Hurricane Katrina, I've installed new sheetrock in
"most" of the house, including ceilings. In half of the house, though,
the rock is cut (and now replaced) at the 4-foot level around the
permiter of the rooms. In total, I suppose I installed about 100+
sheets of 4X8.

The floater came yesterday and said he'd tape and mud everything (and
blow in the ceilings) for $2,500 in labor and $500 in materials. My
house is about 1,600 sq feet and I'm just wondering how much of his
price is "hurricane-driven" and how much is true to the trade.

If any of you have had recent experience with this particular type of
service - either receiving or providing - I'd apprecite hearing from
you...

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chub

"BiloxiBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
As a result of Hurricane Katrina, I've installed new sheetrock in
"most" of the house, including ceilings. In half of the house, though,
the rock is cut (and now replaced) at the 4-foot level around the
permiter of the rooms. In total, I suppose I installed about 100+
sheets of 4X8.

The floater came yesterday and said he'd tape and mud everything (and
blow in the ceilings) for $2,500 in labor and $500 in materials. My
house is about 1,600 sq feet and I'm just wondering how much of his
price is "hurricane-driven" and how much is true to the trade.

If any of you have had recent experience with this particular type of
service - either receiving or providing - I'd apprecite hearing from
you...

Thanks.

blowing in the ceiling? not that popcorn stuff, yuck. I wouldn't pay extra
for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

BiloxiBoy wrote:
As a result of Hurricane Katrina, I've installed new sheetrock in
"most" of the house, including ceilings. In half of the house, though,
the rock is cut (and now replaced) at the 4-foot level around the
permiter of the rooms. In total, I suppose I installed about 100+
sheets of 4X8.

The floater came yesterday and said he'd tape and mud everything (and
blow in the ceilings) for $2,500 in labor and $500 in materials. My
house is about 1,600 sq feet and I'm just wondering how much of his
price is "hurricane-driven" and how much is true to the trade.

If you're in hurrican hit territory all bets are off. The same as
anywhere else, a contractor will charge what the market will bear.
Personally, I'm surprised that they're not charging more considering
the demand.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"BiloxiBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
As a result of Hurricane Katrina, I've installed new sheetrock in
"most" of the house, including ceilings. In half of the house, though,
the rock is cut (and now replaced) at the 4-foot level around the
permiter of the rooms. In total, I suppose I installed about 100+
sheets of 4X8.

The floater came yesterday and said he'd tape and mud everything (and
blow in the ceilings) for $2,500 in labor and $500 in materials. My
house is about 1,600 sq feet and I'm just wondering how much of his
price is "hurricane-driven" and how much is true to the trade.

If any of you have had recent experience with this particular type of
service - either receiving or providing - I'd apprecite hearing from
you...

Thanks.

Grumbling about the price is a bit foolish considering where you are. Unless
of course you want to wait for the price to go up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

i'm from the north where prices are higher, but we pay around a dollar
a square foot of drywall, hung, taped, and primed. last time i hired a
hanger, he charged about .25 cents an square foot. so considering
where you are, it sounds reasonable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Marvel

I think it is a little of both, Hurricane and trade. I usually charge ten
bucks a sheet to finish but around here you can hire it out for 5 to 6 bucks
easy. 4x8 sheets
"BiloxiBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
As a result of Hurricane Katrina, I've installed new sheetrock in
"most" of the house, including ceilings. In half of the house, though,
the rock is cut (and now replaced) at the 4-foot level around the
permiter of the rooms. In total, I suppose I installed about 100+
sheets of 4X8.

The floater came yesterday and said he'd tape and mud everything (and
blow in the ceilings) for $2,500 in labor and $500 in materials. My
house is about 1,600 sq feet and I'm just wondering how much of his
price is "hurricane-driven" and how much is true to the trade.

If any of you have had recent experience with this particular type of
service - either receiving or providing - I'd apprecite hearing from
you...

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

marson ) said...

i'm from the north where prices are higher, but we pay around a dollar
a square foot of drywall, hung, taped, and primed. last time i hired a
hanger, he charged about .25 cents an square foot. so considering
where you are, it sounds reasonable.

When we built our house just over two years ago, we hung the drywall
ourselves and hired a crew to tape it. We supplied the tape and mud and
a bag of Duroc 90 and the charge was for the labour only: $0.30 per square
foot for walls and ceilings that would be painted; $0.20 for ceilngs that
would be texture sprayed (these are Canadian prices, so take about 18% off)

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
Posted to alt.home.repair
BiloxiBoy

Thanks, marson. I appreciate the input...

Posted to alt.home.repair
BiloxiBoy

So, at the high end - $10/sheet - that would work out for me to a
little over $1,000 in the best of worlds. As you pointed out, the
hurricane side of that has apparently more than doubled the price.
WOW!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
BiloxiBoy

To each his own... I kinda like that look. Not yuckky...

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle

I have a friend of mine thjat his son lives in New Orleans and got bid
to sheet rock the whole house. The sheet rock, mud, what every needed
would cost $1,000 and then the bidding company want $9,000.00 to do the
job and supply material.

What was that price of your again ?

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
BiloxiBoy

Your reply is exactly why I asked this question. This is the kind of
input that helps put things into perspective. Thanks - many of these
replies are eye-openers, no doubt...

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

yeah, it's not like a sheetrocker is going to be out of a job down
there if he doesn't snag your job. and don't forget, those guys don't
make enough money even at double to retire to luxury condos in florida.
can't fault 'em for makin a living.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

TURTLE wrote:

This is Turtle

I have a friend of mine thjat his son lives in New Orleans and got bid
to sheet rock the whole house. The sheet rock, mud, what every needed
would cost $1,000 and then the bidding company want $9,000.00 to do the
job and supply material.

What was that price of your again ?

TURTLE

The few companies that have employees on hand to do the work will
probably enjoy the boon for a while. Of course, the employees they have
might start getting more money because the labor market is so small.
Free enterprise )