Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng

Default Lime Buildup Chemistry?

There is heavy lime buildup in the water trap of my toilet bowl. Does
anyone know the chemistry?

The toilet has a four gallon flush tank and I am reluctant to pull a
flush for a simple pee. My solution is to fill a one gallon bucket
with water and flush that. There will be a trace of yellow urine
remaining but it is dilute enough not to smell or look gross. I am
the only occupant so toilet traffic isn't that heavy. The trouble of
course is that after about six months the lime buildup is bad enough
that I have to use a teaspoon (curved surface) to scrape off the lime,
followed by steel wool and a scouring pad. What is there in diluted
urine that will cause the lime to to precipitate out of solution and
stick to the porcelain?