Posted to alt.home.repair

Default General Contractors

I posted a message a few days ago about getting some work done on our
house: paint the interior, replace all carpeting, refinish hardwook
floor in the kitchen, and tile the bathrooms. Our house is ~2,200sf,
3BR 2.5BA.

I'll need to have this work done around August/September, and all
within a four-week period.

Issue is that we reside out of state, and the logistics of coordinating
this is going to be tough. I'll probably only be able to manage one
single one-week trip back home before August, meaning I'll need to get
bids lined up to review within that one week.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have any experience with general contractors that can
help get the individual contractors lined up to perform this work, and
coordinate the individual projects, etc. This seems like an inherently
risky thing to do (entrusting an individual to look after other
contractors and our best interests), but if there's a way to make this
work it would make things a lot easier.

2. General contractor aside, how early should I line up bids and secure
the individual contractors if I want to have this work performed in
August?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I posted a message a few days ago about getting some work done on our
house: paint the interior, replace all carpeting, refinish hardwook
floor in the kitchen, and tile the bathrooms. Our house is ~2,200sf,
3BR 2.5BA.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have any experience with general contractors that can
help get the individual contractors lined up to perform this work, and
coordinate the individual projects, etc. This seems like an inherently
risky thing to do (entrusting an individual to look after other
contractors and our best interests), but if there's a way to make this
work it would make things a lot easier.

We have a local store that sells all the paint, carpet, tile that you are
going to use. One phone call and Bob would be able to get it all done with
ease. He has contractors that do the installation for him. Perhaps you
have a local business that can handle it too.

2. General contractor aside, how early should I line up bids and secure
the individual contractors if I want to have this work performed in
August?

Start now to be sure materials are in and time set aside.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article .com,
says...

[...]

If it were me, I'd start by asking any friends and associates in the area for
recommendations. Flooring and paint are two very different trades, so I'd line
up an interior painter, but have the flooring coordinated starting with a local
flooring provider (many do hardwood and vinyl and carpeting). So two
contractors to deal with, the painter first then the flooring, but of course
have them both lined up in advance. Discuss with the paint contractor if they
could pull up edges of existing carpet to properly do trim. They'd likely have
more prep than if they were doing a new construction or a remod, or even
refurbishing with resisdent homeowners doing minor prep and furniture moving
first, so make sure to bring up all those concerns for the bid.

2. General contractor aside, how early should I line up bids and secure
the individual contractors if I want to have this work performed in
August?

I don't think it's too early to start now. But first see if you can get some
recommendations.

Banty